Kivy accessing main background.

icantr...@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2017, 1:36:56 PM11/6/17
to Kivy users support
Hi everyone,

I am trying to make an APP using Kivy, however, I am curious if Kivy has the capability to access the main background(for the device not the app) image on different devices, my target is phone devices. I haven't been able to find a way to do this after some googling and I am guessing that it is probably not not able to do this since the procedure seems like it would vary dramatically for different OS.

Thanks for the help,
Issiah

ZenCODE

Nov 6, 2017, 7:31:21 PM11/6/17
to Kivy users support
Keep in mind, Kivy tries to remain platform agnostic. Interacting with the "background" is usually quite platform specific (e.g. changing the background image involves different actions on Android, iOS, Windows, Linux and MacOS). Consider also, it's probably not a good idea to try to do that. Users have a known and predictable way to change the background image Now a new app comes and does it differently?

So, you could write platform specific code to do that, but to be honest, it does not sound like a good idea. Each platform has it's own way to do that. And when you install an app, you (usually) do not want it to change your background. OIr am I misunderstanding something here?

Thanks
ZenCODE

icantr...@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2017, 8:01:37 PM11/6/17
to Kivy users support
@ZenCODE Yes, I think you are understanding me correctly. Although my idea was to make an app that would periodically change the background image on the phone based on the current time of day. So a sunset background for for the evening, sunrise for the morning etc.

Do you think having any app at all changing the background is bad idea on most OS?

ZenCODE

Nov 6, 2017, 10:27:37 PM11/6/17
to Kivy users support
If that is is the focus of your app, no, itr's a great idea. The problem is, it's very platform specific. So you would need to implement it fore each Operating System you want to support. An interesting project, but not a simple one...