[New User] - /dev/input/event locking?

Cronanius

Jun 14, 2019, 9:18:01 PM6/14/19
to Kivy users support
Hi there,
I'm brand new to Kivy, and my google-fu has been somewhat fruitless, so I was hoping to get a little support here, if at all possible.

System info:
(Laptop, no touchscreen)
Manjaro Linux, Kernel Version 4.14.121-1
Python IDE: Spyder3, using Python 3.7.3, running IPython 7.5.0

I'm trying out the very first Tutorial (the Pong game), and after creating the pong.kv file and adding the white bar and numbers, when I run the app, it first refused to run, giving the following error:

 [WARNING] [MTD         ] Unable to open device "/dev/input/event5". Please ensure you have the appropriate permissions.

After a little Google-fu, I decided to try changing the permissions on /dev/../event5 by running

 sudo chmod u+x /dev/input/event5

This worked for a single instance of running the app; the above WARNING was still displayed, but it ran as expected.
However, after closing the window and exiting the app, it would no longer run, and displays the following set of error messages (yes, there is a duplicate):

[WARNING] [MTD         ] Unable to open device "/dev/input/event5". Please ensure you have the appropriate permissions.
[WARNING] [MTD         ] Unable to open device "/dev/input/event5". Please ensure you have the appropriate permissions.
[ERROR  ] [Base        ] No event listeners have been created
[ERROR  ] [Base        ] Application will leave

If I attempt to run the program a third time, it will duplicate the error message 3 times, and so forth. Exiting Spyder and restarting allows me to run the app once, but the pattern repeats. Would somebody be willing to explain to me what is going on here, and how to fix it properly? The permissions change on the event seems like a bad workaround.

Robert Flatt

Jun 15, 2019, 1:44:02 AM6/15/19
to Kivy users support

Try the very bottom of the install instructions:

Note that the instructions say nothing about Manjaro, so you may the the first to blaze this trail.