About to release my first Kivy app (looking for testers)

bad.idea

Sep 17, 2019, 3:25:22 PM9/17/19
to Kivy users support

First time poster here, a bit of background: I am a mechanical engineer, and a little under a year ago I decided I wanted to improve my Python skills for professional reasons. In parallel I had a curiosity about creating mobile apps. I had the idea of creating an app to emulate a game a group of us invented in college based around bouncing a kick ball off a bar stool. Thus, I started writing “dRuBbLe.”

For anyone who may be interested in testing, links are below. I’m interested in feedback from this community, perhaps there are some neat features in Kivy that i could utilize that I may not be aware of yet.

https://testflight.apple.com/join/3g2aNStb

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/bad.i.drubble

I’m impressed with what this team has put together, you guys are doing a great service to the Python community. The kv language took some getting used to, but it became my preferred means to customize widgets and keep the code clean and organized. Being able to write an app in Python is great, I’ve grown to appreciate the way that readability is emphasized. I’m a longtime MATLAB user for my everyday job, which I consider the simplest syntax for matrix algebra and signal processing. That said, Python is a great general purpose language and has been easy to learn, and I’ve grown an appreciation for how readability is prioritized,. If I could go back and tell my younger self which language to learn when I was starting out 15 years ago, I may well have said Python. Having Kivy is like icing on the cake.

Avour

Sep 18, 2019, 3:01:02 PM9/18/19
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Nice did you also package for IOS Divices

bad.idea

Sep 19, 2019, 11:52:52 AM9/19/19
to Kivy users support
Yes, I did. Currently using Test Flight, which is their server for beta testing (link below is for my game), but I assume the approval process is the same or similar for the actual app store. You have to have a paid developer account, and for Kivy there is a "cleanup" script I had to run to get the app store to allow it (second link). That removes several .so.o files, which I presume are there for some good reason, but at least in my case there was no affect on running the game.

ZenCODE

Sep 20, 2019, 1:02:12 PM9/20/19
to Kivy users support
Thanks for the great feedback. Always nice for the devs to hear their efforts are appreciate :-)