Kivy on Raspberry Pi: Black Screen

rory_c...@brown.edu

Oct 21, 2015, 11:50:54 AM10/21/15
to Kivy users support
I have a model 2 Raspberry running KivyPie

I have a very simple application that I wrote on my mac that is working fine. When I run the app from my Raspberry pi I see nothing but a black screen.

I am sorry this is so hopelessly broad but does anyone have any idea where to start looking for a solution to this?

I have written a tiny test app which (a yellow world button) that runs fine on the pi.

Any ideas welcome

rory_c...@brown.edu

Oct 21, 2015, 12:14:48 PM10/21/15
to Kivy users support
I figured it out, but perhaps someone could explain it to me.

On my mac I have AppName.py and AppName.kv as well as a bunch of other files. The ivy in AppName.kv is the gateway to all the other kivy code.

Now when I run it on the mac the builder automatically finds and loads AppName.kv, whereas on the pi I have to call Builder.load_file('AppName.kv') and it works fine.

Any idea what is going on here?

Andrei Sima

Oct 21, 2015, 1:04:25 PM10/21/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
As i remember builder will look for a file myapp.kv (see casing ).
As Raspbian is a linux based is not case ignorant as OS or Windows. OS is  a unix based as i remember but i do not know why they chose to build it as a case ignorant system.
This can happen (it happened to me) when you try to compile and your kv file is MyAwesomeApp.kv. It will compile but it will not load the kv file and you get a mesmerising black screen :)

Hope it helps.