How to "sign" an apk made with buildozer

goshfather

Jan 9, 2015, 12:17:12 AM1/9/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
ok so i have an apk i made with "buildozer android release". Now I want to "sign" it to release it on the google play store. On kivy's website it says to follow the instructions on this link http://developer.android.com/tools/publishing/app-signing.html and that I don't need to download anything else. But on that page it gives instructions which involve having to download "android-studio". So I downloaded android-studio for the hell of it but don't know how to import my apk i made with buildozer. My questions are as follows:

1. Can I sign my .apk without having to download android-studio?
                               and if not
2. How do I import my apk that I made with buildozer into android-studio for signing?

I really hate these kind of things, because it doesn't really involve coding, just frustrating bs.

thanks for reading

embryo

Jan 9, 2015, 12:34:18 AM1/9/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
I think you should read near the end of the article, where it says "Signing Your App Manually"
Like it says there "You can sign your app from the command line using standard tools from the Android SDK and the JDK."

The first part is for those who use Android studio, an IDE for java development (like PyCharm is for python).

Alexander Taylor

Jan 9, 2015, 8:34:38 AM1/9/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
You only need the 'signing your app manually' section. I think the relevant tools are all in the android sdk downloaded by buildozer.

goshfather

Jan 22, 2015, 4:14:08 PM1/22/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Do I have to do this via the WINDOWS command line? Or will this also work in the LINUX terminal as well? Because I have buildozer installed on Linux. And also the code looks a little confusing because I'm new to signing apps and making .apk's as a whole. Say the name of my app is "MyApp", my company name is "goshfather", and I want my password to be "MyPassword". How would the following code look?

###
$ keytool -genkey -v -keystore my-release-key.keystore
-alias alias_name -keyalg RSA -keysize 2048 -validity 10000
###

Alexander Taylor

Jan 22, 2015, 4:17:59 PM1/22/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
You can do this on either OS as long as you have the right tools
installed, they come with the android SDK.

The code I ran myself is:

$ keytool -genkey -v -keystore my-release-key.keystore -alias alias_name
-keyalg RSA -keysize 2048 -validity 10000

$ jarsigner -verbose -sigalg SHA1withRSA -digestalg SHA1 -keystore
my-release-key.keystore my_application.apk alias_name
> --

signature.asc

goshfather

Jan 22, 2015, 5:02:10 PM1/22/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Oh...so there is no personalization to the code itself. Everybody signing an apk types in those commands exactly as listed on the page.

Alexander Taylor

Jan 22, 2015, 5:03:26 PM1/22/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Well, I replaced some of the names with my own names, that just has to
be consistent.
> > kivy-users+...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>
> > <mailto:kivy-users+...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>

> --
signature.asc
Message has been deleted

goshfather

Jan 22, 2015, 5:23:13 PM1/22/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Disregard the my last post. Just a syntax error

goshfather

Jan 22, 2015, 5:42:31 PM1/22/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
ok so i made a keystore and when i "jar signed" my apk all goes well but it gives me the following warning

"Warning:
No -tsa or -tsacert is provided and this jar is not timestamped. Without a timestamp, users may not be able to validate this jar after the signer certificate's expiration date (2042-06-09) or after any future revocation date.
"

what does this mean? Do I have to specify a longer time when making my keystore?