buildozer import issue

Ragamuffyn Soundz

May 23, 2019, 12:22:18 PM5/23/19
to Kivy users support
hey folks

I'm currently testing android deployment of my kivy app
Having troubles with my imports, though.

My main.py works fine when i run the script with the python interpreter.

Yet after building with buildozer and running on a phone i get an error saying a file to import do not exist. This file is in the same directory as my main.py, though.

my buildozer.spec is set to include all *.py files.

What could I be missing?

any help is greatly appreciated

Robert Flatt

May 23, 2019, 1:08:52 PM5/23/19
to Kivy users support
Not enough information for anybody to help you.
Always post the smallest possible example of the code, and the FULL log file.

Ragamuffyn Soundz

May 23, 2019, 1:54:18 PM5/23/19
to Kivy users support
Sorry, i will specify some more.

I am using progressspinner from kivy garden in my project.
Initially i just copied the source from garden.progressspinner into a file named ProgressSpinner.py next to my main.py and importing via "import ProgressSpinner" in main.py
This worked without any problems using the python interpreter on my linux machine.

then i tried deploying the script for android.
it worked, but the app would crash on startup on my phone.
logcat told me

ImportError: No module named ProgressSpinner

this is when i wrote the first post. i thought there might be trouble importing my own .py files.

i then saw the optional garden requirement section in the buildozer.spec file and decided to install garden.progressspinner the official way.
the import statement was changed to "from kivy.garden.progressspinner import *"
and it worked as expected when i tried it on my linux machine with the python interpreter.

i made my garden requirements look like this:
garden_requirements = progressspinner

and ran

buildozer android clean (i always do before deployment)
buildozer android deploy run logcat

just to get the exact same error as before. then i commented out all the lines of code that had something to do with progressspinner in my main.py and commented out the import statement also.
i also commented out the garden requirement in the spec file.

re-deploying still gave me the same error. it even states the line number where the import of progressspinner used to be, even though its commented out now.

i then deleted the .buildozer folder inside the project folder, renamed buildozer.spec, and ran "buildozer init" for a fresh start. I mv'ed back my buildozer.spec from before and ran the deploy commands from above.

the error is still the same ..

ImportError: No module named ProgressSpinner

even though there is no import statement. it makes no sense to me.

any ideas/help greatly appreciated!