Install Kivy on Ubuntu 18.04. not working

Ubuntu Somethis

Aug 8, 2020, 2:43:45 PM8/8/20
to Kivy users support

I'm trying to install Kivy, a Python Framework, but run into problems using pip.

Following the instructions on https://kivy.org/doc/stable/installation/installation-linux.html I get the following error.

Can someone help? What Input should I post here to resolve the issue?

$ python -m pip install --upgrade --user pip setuptools virtualenv

---> results in

pip is configured with locations that require TLS/SSL, however the ssl module in Python is not available.
Cache entry deserialization failed, entry ignored
Could not fetch URL https://pypi.python.org/simple/pip/: There was a problem confirming the ssl certificate: Can't connect to HTTPS URL because the SSL module is not available. - skipping
Requirement already up-to-date: pip in /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages
Could not fetch URL https://pypi.python.org/simple/setuptools/: There was a problem confirming the ssl certificate: Can't connect to HTTPS URL because the SSL module is not available. - skipping
Requirement already up-to-date: setuptools in /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages
Collecting virtualenv
  Could not fetch URL https://pypi.python.org/simple/virtualenv/: There was a problem confirming the ssl certificate: Can't connect to HTTPS URL because the SSL module is not available. - skipping
  Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement virtualenv (from versions: )
No matching distribution found for virtualenv

Robert Flatt

Aug 9, 2020, 1:37:25 AM8/9/20
to Kivy users support
Its a Python install issue (or pip?), not a Kivy issue.  Perhaps libssl-dev was not installed when Python was installed?
Typically that would mean installing the lib, and rebuilding Python. But there may be other better solutions.

Google
pip is configured with locations that require TLS/SSL, however the ssl module in Python is not available.
Lots of hits :)  , and lots different solutions   :(    Pick one you like.

Before you jump in the deep end, I'd try the simple stuff like running pip3 directly from the prompt, and updating it alone. If that works then try the other packages.