Getting the Error: “bash: cd: kivy-ios: No such file or directory” error when trying to create a package for iOS with Kivy.

Addison Weatherhead

Aug 6, 2018, 3:41:38 PM8/6/18
to Kivy users support
So I am using Kivy and Python 2.7 to make a basic calculator app for iOS. I have a few windows, buttons, etc in the project, and want to test it out on my iPhone. I know from previous experience, that you can 'deploy' a project to test on an iOS device from Xcode.

I am using Kivy's official site to create an iOS package: https://kivy.org/docs/guide/packaging-ios.html

When I get to the step that says to input 'cd kivy-ios' into terminal, I get the error "bash: cd: kivy-ios: No such file or directory”. I am not sure why this happens, as I physically see the kivy-ios file in my PyCharm project.

I have a stack overflow post with more details, and a picture to show what my issue is. Please go there for more details, and feel free to leave a response either there or here on Google Groups.
Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

ZenCODE

Aug 7, 2018, 3:02:36 PM8/7/18
to Kivy users support
'kivy-ios' should be a directory/folder, not a file? That was the output of you "git clone" command?

Addison Weatherhead

Aug 7, 2018, 3:05:29 PM8/7/18
to Kivy users support
(venv) Addisons-MacBook-Air:kivy-ios addisonweatherhead$ git clone git://github.com/kivy/kivy-ios
Cloning into 'kivy-ios'...
remote: Counting objects: 12912, done.
remote: Total 12912 (delta 9), reused 20 (delta 9), pack-reused 12887
Receiving objects: 100% (12912/12912), 83.20 MiB | 10.87 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (5539/5539), done.

From What I can tell, it did it without issue

ZenCODE

Aug 7, 2018, 4:02:49 PM8/7/18
to Kivy users support
And immediately after that, you type "cd kivy-ios" into the same terminal?

Addison Weatherhead

Aug 7, 2018, 4:06:51 PM8/7/18
to Kivy users support

Yes, I'm using the terminal within PyCharm if that is significant. But yes, immediately after. As you can see from the image, I typed it in, hit return, and there was no response. So, I tried again, then got the error. Don't think that first try not working was of any significance

Addison Weatherhead

Aug 8, 2018, 2:04:04 PM8/8/18
to Kivy users support
If you can't think of a solution, then should I just set the current directory to my desktop, download the file, then manually drag it into the kivy-ios folder? I suppose the only question would be which kivy-ios folder should I put it in? Within the kivy-ios folder, is another folder called kivy-ios. Any thoughts

Addison Weatherhead

Aug 8, 2018, 6:04:32 PM8/8/18
to Kivy users support
Quick Update, I simply did a direct directory (/Users/<My Name>/PycharmProjects/<Project Name>/kivy-ios). However, I do have one question left: Which kivy-ios folder do I set as the directory? Because for me at least, there is a kivy-ios folder within the other kivy-ios folder!

Does it matter which one is set as my current directory? I imagine it would

ZenCODE

Aug 9, 2018, 2:42:16 PM8/9/18
to Kivy users support
I would suggest starting from scratch using just the terminal. PyCham seems to be confusing the issue. The "git clone" command should create a folder that you can "cd" into. Let's start from there.

Addison Weatherhead

Aug 10, 2018, 3:12:14 PM8/10/18
to Kivy users support
Okay, I'll delete the folder, and retry the git command. I'll update you on my progress, thanks!

Addison Weatherhead

Aug 10, 2018, 3:18:39 PM8/10/18
to Kivy users support
Okay so there is no longer a kivy-ios folder within a kivy-ios folder, and cd kivy-ios worked! However, when I move onto the next step, I get the following error:
xcrun: error: SDK "iphonesimulator" cannot be located
xcrun: error: SDK "iphonesimulator" cannot be located
xcrun: error: unable to lookup item 'Path' in SDK 'iphonesimulator'

Here is the whole output after I type
./toolchain.py build kivy

(py) Addisons-MacBook-Air:kivy-ios addisonweatherhead$ ./toolchain.py build kivy
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./toolchain.py", line 200, in <module>
    class ArchSimulator(Arch):
  File "./toolchain.py", line 205, in ArchSimulator
    sysroot = sh.xcrun("--sdk", "iphonesimulator", "--show-sdk-path").strip()
  File "./tools/external/sh.py", line 1021, in __call__
    return RunningCommand(cmd, call_args, stdin, stdout, stderr)
  File "./tools/external/sh.py", line 486, in __init__
    self.wait()
  File "./tools/external/sh.py", line 500, in wait
    self.handle_command_exit_code(exit_code)
  File "./tools/external/sh.py", line 516, in handle_command_exit_code
    raise exc(self.ran, self.process.stdout, self.process.stderr)
sh.ErrorReturnCode_1:

  RAN: '/usr/bin/xcrun --sdk iphonesimulator --show-sdk-path'

  STDOUT:

  STDERR:
xcrun: error: SDK "iphonesimulator" cannot be located
xcrun: error: SDK "iphonesimulator" cannot be located
xcrun: error: unable to lookup item 'Path' in SDK 'iphonesimulator'

(py) Addisons-MacBook-Air:kivy-ios addisonweatherhead$

Any ideas on what this is?

ZenCODE

Aug 10, 2018, 5:40:26 PM8/10/18
to Kivy users support
I would try opening XCode and installing the simulator via XCode. There should be plenty of online docs explaining how. Once that's done, try again?

Addison Weatherhead

Aug 10, 2018, 5:42:06 PM8/10/18
to Kivy users support
Already have, still getting the same error :(
Currently trying to contact apple developer support about it, but its doubtful that they will help since its not 100% Xcode related. Do you have any other ideas?

(Really appreciate your help!!)

ZenCODE

Aug 10, 2018, 6:00:24 PM8/10/18
to Kivy users support
And you've got the XCode command line tools installed? I doubt you would have gotten this far if not. Still, just want to make sure?

Addison Weatherhead

Aug 10, 2018, 6:01:34 PM8/10/18
to Kivy users support
Uhh, not familiar with what that is. How would I install/check to see if I have installed them?

ZenCODE

Aug 11, 2018, 3:28:47 AM8/11/18
to Kivy users support

Addison Weatherhead

Aug 12, 2018, 9:47:27 AM8/12/18
to Kivy users support
Tried that, no fix. Still the same
xcrun: error: SDK "iphonesimulator" cannot be located
xcrun: error: SDK "iphonesimulator" cannot be located
xcrun: error: unable to lookup item 'Path' in SDK 'iphonesimulator'

error message. Any other ideas? Is there a certain directory that the SDK files should be, so I can check to see if they are there?

Addison Weatherhead

Aug 12, 2018, 10:30:44 AM8/12/18
to Kivy users support

Addison Weatherhead

Aug 13, 2018, 8:57:36 AM8/13/18
to Kivy users support
I decided to just say 'screw it' and switch to coding in Swift in Xcode. I don't have any experience with it, but sounds like its relatively easy to get the basics, and the app I'm making is pretty basic. Thanks for all your help!