Using Kivy with iOS UIKit and Android native UI

Bach

May 18, 2014, 7:00:59 PM5/18/14
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

is it possible to integrate Kivy with iOS UIKit and Android native UI?

I am planning to use the Kivy/python as the shared/crossplatform layer,
and write all UI and some other components natively. We have extensive use of UITableViews, UIScrollviews and CoreData on iOS.

Something like the diagram below:

I really appreciate any advice or direction.

thanks

João Ventura

May 19, 2014, 5:09:18 PM5/19/14
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

the answer is no.. Kivy is a framework built on top of Pygame (which is built on top of SDL) and other components, and, in a quite simple way, it draws only to a OpenGL canvas. It is great for custom UIs like games, but it is not what you would expect for applications needing native UIs.

I too, I've been searching for alternatives, and the only approach is to embed the Python interpreter and have C/C++ code to interface with your interpreter. In this case, C will be your glue between Python and Java/ObjectiveC..

I have written a series of blog posts on my tech blog where I have explored how to embed and use the Python interpreter in Android. You can read it here: http://techventura.wordpress.com/2014/04/21/embedding-python-in-android-series/. If you really want to do it the same way as I explain, I suggest to implement the things as I mention them, and then you will know much about that as I do.. :)

For iOS, it is much simpler, because you do not need the JNI layer..

João Ventura

Bach

May 19, 2014, 7:15:56 PM5/19/14
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com