install apk error "New installs into ASEC containers no longer supported"

Dung Phung Van

Sep 9, 2019, 4:33:32 AM9/9/19
to Kivy users support
I have error bellow following when install apk by adb .

 adb install -s demo7-1.0.0-debug.apk
adb: failed to install demo7-1.0.0-debug.apk:
Exception occurred while executing:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: New installs into ASEC containers no longer supported
at com.android.server.pm.PackageInstallerService.createSessionInternal(PackageInstallerService.java:461)
at com.android.server.pm.PackageInstallerService.createSession(PackageInstallerService.java:420)
at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerShellCommand.doCreateSession(PackageManagerShellCommand.java:1380)
at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerShellCommand.runInstall(PackageManagerShellCommand.java:201)
at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerShellCommand.onCommand(PackageManagerShellCommand.java:109)
at android.os.ShellCommand.exec(ShellCommand.java:96)
at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.onShellCommand(PackageManagerService.java:22497)
at android.os.Binder.shellCommand(Binder.java:594)
at android.os.Binder.onTransact(Binder.java:492)
at android.content.pm.IPackageManager$Stub.onTransact(IPackageManager.java:2658)
at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.onTransact(PackageManagerService.java:3773)
at android.os.Binder.execTransact(Binder.java:697)

please help me

Robert Flatt

Sep 9, 2019, 9:27:58 PM9/9/19
to Kivy users support
Best guess is this is related to install location on the target device.
It probably also fails if the .apk is copied to the device and installed directly, so its not about adb.
Its about where the app is installed.

Google found a pretty good description of the issue in the answer to this question:
There is also a pretty good description here:

So, installing on an removable SD card?  I don't think one can set this from a Buildozer spec file.
Anyone know?

The hard question is why are you seeing this message?

I'm gonna guess it is about the settings on the phone, in which case the answer will be something like this:

But the actual answer is going to depend on the Android version, a Google search is your friend on this one.