unable to get Window - now on Raspberry pi 4, buster OS - used to work on rpi3,(both Buster and Stretch)

mjkuwp94

Jul 20, 2019, 6:41:40 PM7/20/19
to Kivy users support
I've been using Kivy for a while now with a the Pi3B+ and older and Raspbian Stretch and Jessie.  The systems have been running Kivy from the console after boot without ever booting to the desktop.

Recently I built a new image using Raspbian Buster (released July 2019) and using a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+.  I had this working using Kivy 1.10.1 but this was not the latest version. I targeted the older version due to a problem.  The Python version is 3.7.3.

When the image/ sd card was moved to the Raspberry Pi 4 it started giving problems finally giving the result:

[CRITICAL] App: Unable to get a Window, abort

The log file is attached but here are what seem to be the main errors.

egl_rpi - ImportError: cannot import name 'bcm' from 'kivy.lib.vidcore_lite'
sdl2 - RuntimeError: b'Could not initialize EGL'
x11 - ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'kivy.core.window.window_x11'

 I have since updated the Kivy to 1.11.1 to see if this release would be better and it was with that release that I got Kivy to get a Window but only if I run the desktop first, open a terminal and start the application from there.  This is not close to what I was doing before as it has never been required to run the desktop window manager.

Is there something I should do to troubleshoot this further?  some configuration that needs to change? probably something related to the numerous changes made to the graphics on the newest Raspberry Pi 4.

rpi4_py373_kivy_1.11.1_no_desktop_unable_get_window.log

mjkuwp94

Jul 21, 2019, 8:37:17 AM7/21/19
to Kivy users support
I should clarify that if I open/run the desktop LXDE first then Kivy will run properly. I had to change my window size to match the resolution of the monitor and so I changed the configuration file to accomplish this.

My goal is to have the Raspberry pi boot only to the console as I have done with past hardware and past OS versions.  This speeds boot time and there are other benefits.