Resolving hostnames gethostbyaddr and threads failing apk

Leon A

Dec 8, 2013, 11:15:21 AM12/8/13
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Ive written the code to resolve a hostname by the address e.g

x = socket.gethostbyaddr('192.168.10.3')

And since I have been testing by using the Kivy Launcher everything was working fine and perfectly. I decided today to make my first APK to test using Buildozer.

socket.gethostbyaddr doesnt work and throws an error which crashes the program.
My apk has root permisions.

I also tested the code by using the qpython console and it does indeed resolve the hostname.

I'm thinking that hopefully all my APK needs are the correct permissions. Can anybody suggest the correct permissions to put into my buildozer spec file? or would this not solve my problem? .

I am also having problems with creating threads errno 13, can anybody confirm that threads actually should work using kivy/android?.

Thank you.

Ben Rousch

Dec 8, 2013, 11:19:27 AM12/8/13
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com

You probably need the NETWORK Android permission in your APK. Kivy launcher includes it, so you don't notice that you need it.

Leon A

Dec 8, 2013, 12:10:28 PM12/8/13
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ben I needed the INTERNET permission also I didnt see that I had it commented out! , any idea about using threads?

Leon A

Dec 8, 2013, 12:14:35 PM12/8/13
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Its ok the threads wouldnt work as a result of not having the INTERNET permission, because I was using it on  a port scan.