Quick release doesn't ditch (flag) the kite

timma...@gmail.com

Sep 13, 2020, 1:55:43 PM9/13/20
to Kitesurfing forum
I had a problem the other day in big winds, that when trying to self land the kite, my only option was to activate the quick release (nobody else around on the beach). When I did this, the bar slid up the lines, but although the kite lost some power, it didn't collapse. When I looked at it, the 2 front lines are attached in a V, so it held both front lines, rather than one line. It was a really windy day, so the kite just hovered above the beach, but wouldn't collapse onto it. The bar and kites were different brands (cabrinha bar, ozone kite), but it had flown fine while on the water. When I looked at 2 of my other bars (Epic & Fone), they had slightly different systems, but again, further along the lines, the 2 front lines were attached in a V. When I looked at 2 friend's bars, theirs had a system that allowed the bar and 3 lines to slide along the single front line attached to the harness leash. I checked the manual for my cabrinha bar, which I've had from new with no modifications and it matches the setup shown in the manual.

Is it just that these are older bars (2013) and that it is only more modern bars that have developed the system that keeps the harness leash attached to only one front line, when the quick release is deployed?

What are people's opinions on modifying the lines attachment system so that one line slides along the other?
Message has been deleted

Tim Mather

May 11, 2021, 2:15:48 PM5/11/21
to Kitesurfing forum
Yep. I've bought a newer bar now.
Tim

On Tue, May 11, 2021, 11:41 AM Kitesurfing forum <kitesurf...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Tim,

You need to be careful mixing different brands of bars and kites. Its best to get some advice about his from a local kite shop or experienced kiters.

Some older bars and kites release onto the V of two front lines. As you point out this means the kite can still fly (without much power) and be hard to fully land.

Most modern kites now flag out onto one of the front lines so that they land when the safety is released, often upside down.  You can then walk along the flag line until you get to the kite to secure it.

Regards, Peter