Recommended kite sizes vary too much for the same wind and weight conditions.

vif...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2017, 7:47:37 PM12/10/17
to Kitesurfing forum
Hi

I am considering to do kiting.
I weigh 85 kg and I would kite in light winds ( about 12-15 knts), as I always do with my 11 ft Bic Windsup when windsurfing. Actually I would to do kiting on it as many people do .

From the information available on the Internet, I wonder why, for approximately the same weight and wind-range, perhaps depending on the brands, the recommended sizes vary from 10 m to a whopping 17 m.Your site, too, speaks of of sizes up to 17 m for 10 knts winds or so.

Why such a variance? Some kiters on various Forums say that 10-11 m is quite enough. Some even vouchsafe smaller kites around 6 or 7 m.

Can you shed some light on this, please?

Thanks

Franco V.

Kitesurfing forum

May 10, 2021, 9:51:53 PM5/10/21
to Kitesurfing forum
Franco,

The 17m kite sizes were used in conjunction with twin tip boards in light wind (e.g. 12 knots).   You wouldn't see many inflatable kites this size in use now.

Using a good kite surfboard could decrease the kite size for the same wind to around 14m-15m.

Using a foil board could decrease the kite size further to 12m

Many people are now using foil kites instead of inflatable kites in light wind as they are much lighter and have a better aerodynamics.

Regards, Peter

Denys CKSS

May 10, 2021, 10:11:26 PM5/10/21
to Kitesurfing forum
First I would ask have you taken professional lessons?  Do you actually riding  kite on board and can stay upwind?
Instructors usually recommend proper gear sizes for type of riding.

As for the why is there many variations per wind range:
Most kites are designed to support  upto 8-10knts of wind and its gust.  Depending on shape Bow race vs freestyle  kite.
Just think that pretty much any-7-17m kite can be launched in winds as light as 7-8knts. But 7m will require flights skill to stay in the air while 17m may effortlessly be parked in the air.  Now add rider 50kg or 85kg it's like having Cars with 2l engine or 5l power trying to tow a trailer.  One won't move even in hight RPM while big engine will tow that rider .

Foil board has opened up ability to gain speed with next to no drag . Is why we can step 3-4m less in kite size.

I can keep on writing.  Hope this helps.