Getting Passed The Shore Break

Claudio Rios

Apr 29, 2016, 1:18:36 PM4/29/16
to Kitesurfing forum
Hi, I hope everybody is having a blast out there. Hopefully you can help me get unstuck.

I can't get passed the shore break!:( The waves keep coming, fairly quickly and with enough force to take me off balance when I try to board drag out to sea to try my water start.

A lot of times, this is worsened by the kite flying to one side persistently instead of staying where I park it. When this happens I have to keep pulling the bar to the opposite side constantly just to keep the kite in the neutral position.

I have checked the length of my lines, and they are all exactly the same. I would like to try a quick water start/jump start, starting from a standing position to get passed the waves. Any tips?

Thanks,
Claudio R.

Peter Campbell

Apr 29, 2016, 4:24:52 PM4/29/16
to Claudio Rios, Kitesurfing forum
Claudio,

It can be tricky to get off the shore when the wind is onshore and there is a shore break.

A few things to try:

1. Work out the best angle and keep your kite low (not overhead) and drag out using your board as a keel, then do a water start

2. Wait for a gap in the shore break then walk out quickly and do a water start.

3. Do a beach start - get the kite overhead then start a power stroke as you place your front foot on the board. When you get going place your rear foot on too.

Claudio Rios

Apr 29, 2016, 5:49:20 PM4/29/16
to Peter Campbell, Kitesurfing forum
Hi Peter and Denys,

Thanks for the tips. I will try them.

I'm still at the beginning stage, and it is still a struggle to ride. I have gotten up on the board only once, and rode it for just a few seconds. A few more times I got up on the board but with no forward momentum so I just sunk back in the water.

Thanks,
Claudio R.