Advice on Second Hand Gear

alexandra...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2014, 11:29:50 PM2/4/14
to kitesurf...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I am a level 2.5ish kite surfer, am competent at most things except changing direction standing up and jumping. I was going to purchase another 2-4 hours of lessons before buying my own gear but this will cost $400!

I have the options to buy second hand gear from Surfconnect where I took lessons and wanted advice on age of kite/gear I should buy - given Im a student and its really expensive!

I was thinking Package 3/4/5. Is it really worth paying the extra to get a new kite given im still a newbie?

PACKAGE 3 - $1500
• 2009 Kite, board, harness, bar, lines, safety leash and pump - used package + 4 hours of FREE LESSON worth $350!

PACKAGE 4 - $1650
• 2010 Kite, board, harness, bar, lines, safety leash and pump - used package + 4 hours of FREE LESSON worth $350, or a
• 2009 new kite, used board, harness, bar, lines, safety leash and pump.

PACKAGE 5 - $1800
• 2011 Kite, board, harness, bar, lines, safety leash and pump - used package + 4 hours of FREE LESSON worth $350, or a
• 2010 new kite, used board, harness, bar, lines, safety leash and pump.

PACKAGE 6 - $1950
• 2012 Kite, board, harness, bar, lines, safety leash and pump - used package + 4 hours of FREE LESSON worth $350, or a
• 2011 new kite, used board, harness, bar, lines, safety leash and pump.

thankyou!

Peter Campbell

Feb 4, 2014, 11:42:02 PM2/4/14
to kitesurf...@googlegroups.com
Alex,

In general, later model gear will perform better and have improved safety features due to improvements in design.

Package 3 prices looks too high for what you get.

I would consider packages 4, 5 and 6 - get the best you can afford. I would consider the new kite rather than a second hand one.

You should also research the brand and model of kite they are offering to make sure you are getting one with the right characteristics for you.

Regards, Peter

Denys Den

Feb 4, 2014, 11:49:07 PM2/4/14
to Peter Campbell, kitesurf...@googlegroups.com

What are kite brands models year condition and size? Bar and leash usualy comes with it but some dont . Harness I would try few first and get new . seat ones and especially if waste one .must be comfortable plus its touching your body.))

Best Regards,
Denys A.

alexandra gregory

Feb 5, 2014, 12:22:06 AM2/5/14
to Denys Den, Peter Campbell, kitesurf...@googlegroups.com
I am finding out the brands on issue. Since I am a newbie i dont know alot about brands/types of kite as I have used the hybrid ones and other version and not really noticed the difference yet! I do not use Seat harnesses as they are super uncomfortable.
I found this: http://www.goodtime.com.au/E20819::269394:2012-Cabrinha-Vector-IDS-90m-Kite-Complete does it look like a good buy for a beginner/intermediate?

Peter Campbell

Feb 5, 2014, 12:35:41 AM2/5/14
to kitesurf...@googlegroups.com, Denys Den, Peter Campbell
Alex,

I haven't used a Vector but they do get good reviews - easy to relaunch and good to learn with.  However, they are "underpowered for their size" so get a bigger size than you might for other kites.

I have used Switchblades and several friends still have them - they are the go to kite for Cabrinha and are good all rounders.

Regards, Peter

Denys Den

Feb 5, 2014, 8:59:39 AM2/5/14
to Peter Campbell, kitesurf...@googlegroups.com

I agree Cabrinha is the most reliable kites. VRCTOR great all rounder.
Just dont get any older then 2010 and stay away from C kites till you deside to go unhooked. You need a predictable BOW kite easy to use  yet safe.

Best Regards,
Denys A.

Alexandra Gregory

Feb 10, 2014, 5:53:38 PM2/10/14
to Denys Den, Peter Campbell, kitesurf...@googlegroups.com
Okay thanks for the Advice!
The package is $2100 for 2013 10.5m liquid force-Envy model and new board, lines, harness and four hours of lessons.

Is this ok? I haven't been able to find a $2000 package similar to this, However it Liquid Force which is a bad thing?

alexandra gregory

Feb 13, 2014, 12:44:19 AM2/13/14
to Denys Den, Peter Campbell, kitesurf...@googlegroups.com
Ok i have my purchase narrowed down (based on cost/availability) to
a) 10.5m Liquid force ENVY 2013 kite
b) Ocean Rodeo brand new 2012 12m

Thoughts?

Denys Den