Info - Travel

giacomo....@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2016, 9:01:33 AM8/7/16
to Kitesurfing forum
Hi there!

I am studying and getting always more familiar with the kite world.
However, I still have a personal doubt and something I can't explain myself: why kite sofar has not been used to travel along coasts, "closed" seas or few miles? With long periods of constant wind this might be possible, to my beginner's understading.

Which are in your opinion the main obstacles?
I dream of a couple of days journey, simply stopping by campsites and small locations on the coast. And keep going...

Thanks to all those wil reply, despite the silly point!

Good wind to everybody

Peter Campbell

Aug 17, 2016, 1:33:32 AM8/17/16
to Kitesurfing forum, giacomo....@gmail.com

Great question Giacomo,

You can kite and travel long distances.

Louis Tapper completed the longest recorded kite journey, completing 2000 km between Salvador and Sao Luis, Brazil. The journey was completed between July/August 2010 and took over 24 days of kitesurfing. This trip is also the longest solo journey, completed without support crew, using one kite and a 35-litre backpack.

The main things you need to consider are:

  • Carrying enough food and maybe a small stove
  • Spare clothing
  • Equipment spares
  • Making sure there is enough wind forecast
  • Obstacles along the route such as rocky headlands
  • What your escape routes are if you run out of wind and have to walk out.

Starting with short trips is best, then build up to longer ones.

Regards, Peter

Claudio Rios

Aug 18, 2016, 12:39:52 AM8/18/16
to Kitesurfing forum
Very interesting facts, Peter. Thanks for sharing. Claudio.