First Time rider

gca...@yahoo.com

Feb 7, 2016, 10:06:50 AM2/7/16
to Kitesurfing forum
Whats up guys, I've always wanted to kitesurf and finally I decided that this summer is going to be it. I would appreciate any and all tips ranging from gear to riding practices. Also was wondering is this something that is easy to pick up? I snow board a little so I figured it is somewhat similar. Any advice helps. Thanks

Peter Campbell

Feb 7, 2016, 6:44:24 PM2/7/16
to gca...@yahoo.com, Kitesurfing forum
Kitesurfing is easy to learn if you get lessons for a good instructor - its about as hard as learning to drive a manual car.  4 to 5 lessons should get you going.  Another 5 sessions and you should be confidently staying upwind.

Your snowboarding experience will help a bit with handling a twin tip board, but kitesurfing is 90% about the kite.  If you fly a trainer kite for a while that can speed up your learning and get you ready for a full size kite.

It is well worth the effort.  Enjoy!

Denys CKSS

Feb 7, 2016, 8:20:53 PM2/7/16
to gca...@yahoo.com, Kitesurfing forum

It's a great and easy sport to learn.
you can start with snowkiting it's the easiest part of kiting. 95% of ppl start riding by the end of first lesson. mind that every school and single instructor are different. some would like you for 20 lessons  and some will get you on board in just 3-4.
I don't believe in trainer kites and don't use them on lessons . it is a toy that anyone can fly and does not have depower control.Its a great tool to waste students time )).  But if you are tight on budget then yes get trainer kite 2-3m spend some time(20-hrs) and then take at least 1 lesson to learn all safety techniques.  Very important that you master the safety release and understand how to use is and when . New kites got awsome systems.
Now you can realy skip the part on buying 2-300$ trainer kite and instad get a lesson on real power kite .

I see ppl that learn on their own  and admire them or friends that help .if you got friend kiter that will actually dedicate time teaching you -great. although many will only spend 15 min and take off riding while leaving you at the beach crashing kite over beach users upssss  trouble for everyone.
You will not learn basics from videos as wind can do all kinds of tricks in a split second . it helps later with tricks

The only question you want to have is when do you want to get on board by?

like I mentioned early snowkiting is easy you can do it in 3hrs (all our students do).  Big pressure on Safety !!!!!

As for water it takes more time and a lot more safety techniques like Body-drugging which you must Master it. Then make sure not to take long between sessions . If your busy schedule alow you to get out only ones a year then stick to snowkiting ) . water season must be within short time as your body will forget the feeling and its like start over every time .
Where are you located?
find kiters on the beach and go up and talk . most kitesurfers love when others ask questions )))))mother nature ))))
Ask how did they learn and where if he she recommend a school or instructor and WHY? ask few then book lessons with ones that are most recognized in the area. talk to kite shop they won't recommend bad instructors, not in their interest.

something like that )))))

Best Regards,
Denys A.