Kite Crashes When Entering Water

claudio...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2015, 5:50:38 PM8/22/15
to Kitesurfing forum
My problem is that every time I launch my kite, as I enter the water the kite loses power, becomes very hard to control, and ends up either falling backwards or just free falling, as if there were no wind at all, with all the lines completely slack.

At the beach I go to, we usually have 10 mph side-onshore winds coming from the left side of the wind window (from the right side when facing the water). I have tried putting the kite at 12 o'clock and putting the kite at about 1 o'clock as I enter the water. 1 o'clock seems to be better, but I still lose the kite. Do you have any suggestions on what I should do or how I should trim the kite?

Thanks,
Claudio R.

Peter Campbell

Aug 23, 2015, 5:52:24 AM8/23/15
to Kitesurfing forum, claudio...@gmail.com
Claudio,

It sounds like you may be bringing your kite too high in the wind window so that it too far out of the power zone, and the wind is not very strong.

The kite either stalls backwards or crashes forwards with slack lines (a Hindenberg).

Things to try are:
  • Keep the kite flying/turning so that it maintains some forward speed.  You can do this by flying it slowly from 11:00 to 1:00 and back again.
  • Keep the kite in the power zone, don't park it at 12.  Only park the kite at 11:00 or 1:00 if there is plenty of wind.
  • Keep tension in your lines - don't let them go slack (bar too far out) or choke the kite (bar right in).
  • You should trim the kite for maximum power
  • When you do the water start - start with the kite behind your direction of travel (e.g. 1:00 if you are going left) then bring across through 12:00 and down into the power dive in your direction of travel.
Here is the article on Water starts

Good luck!  I hope this helps.

Regards, Peter

Claudio Rios

Aug 23, 2015, 5:58:05 PM8/23/15
to Peter Campbell, Kitesurfing forum

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the tips and for your time. I'll definitely try out your suggestions next time I go kiting. I'm sure they will help me progress.

Wishing you all the best,
Claudio.

pwal...@gmail.com

Nov 12, 2015, 7:17:20 AM11/12/15
to Kitesurfing forum, claudio...@gmail.com

10 mph - Not enough wind,especially for learner. Need at least 15 in my opinion presuming your not using a foil.