kites front vs back lines length

ulisses...@gmail.com

Aug 20, 2016, 5:30:46 AM8/20/16
to Kitesurfing forum
Hi all

This is just a curiosity

I wonder if making the front lines shorter is 100% equivalent to making the back lines longer.

If this is the case, is the length of making the front lines shorter a 1:1 ratio vs making the back lines longer?

I would expect that the position and the shape would stay the same if these two methods are analogous.

Thanks for all comments

Cheers

ulisses...@gmail.com

Aug 20, 2016, 10:03:23 AM8/20/16
to Kitesurfing forum, ulisses...@gmail.com
Just to clarify. This is a theoretical question rather than something I need/want to do. I just wanted to understand the dynamics of modifying the line's length.

Kitesurfing forum

May 10, 2021, 10:02:21 PM5/10/21
to Kitesurfing forum
It is the relative lengths of the front vs rear lines that matters.  If you shorten the front lines this would be equivalent to lengthening the rear lines.

Its best to stay with the manufactures provided lines and lengths. Small differences in line lengths can make a huge different in kite performance, sometimes for the worse.

Regards, Peter

Denys CKSS

May 10, 2021, 10:19:18 PM5/10/21
to Kitesurfing forum
You must tune your lines every 3-5  session.  Front lines will be stretched after few hrs and rears pretty much don't as there is only steering tension on it.
Check youtube or ask local dealers to help you with tuning.   Front must match rear at full power.
If your Front lines get stretched  in lighter wind your kite will backstall and if wind pick up you are running into uncontrollable overpower .

On other side longer steering lines will force kite overfly and also been underpowered.