Thin round corners not being drawn out

Mikk Kiilaspää

Oct 12, 2014, 6:27:49 AM10/12/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I created this rounded corners thin wall "box" a while ago to test extrusion width.
It's got 0.4 mm walls, but for some reason, Kisslicer doesn't want to complete the corners, leaving a small bit out.

Is there any setting that I could change to make it do a complete enclosed box?
0.4-wall.gcode
0.4-wall.STL
0.4-wall.SLDPRT
Capture.PNG

frozen...@yahoo.com

Oct 12, 2014, 9:05:52 AM10/12/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Increase your wall thickness or reduce your extrusion width. The pink paths in your slice are only Crowning passes.

You can also use this attached .stl, that is only the outside face of your model. Under Style tab, set Skin Thickness to 0, Number of Loops to 1, and Infill % to Hollow setting. Ignore mesh error flags when you load this .stl file.
0.4-wall_vase.STL

Mikk Kiilaspää

Oct 12, 2014, 9:30:58 AM10/12/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I figured that one out (1 loop, 0 thickness, hollow infill).

Increasing the wall thickness at some point fixes the corners, but then the straight walls are done by two lines, not a single one any more.
Message has been deleted

Mikk Kiilaspää

Oct 12, 2014, 10:01:25 AM10/12/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
No, I meant that I got multiple lines on straight lines when I increased the wall thickness in my original model.

On Sunday, October 12, 2014 5:00:11 PM UTC+3, frozen...@yahoo.com wrote:
Use those settings on the .stl I posted, you should not be getting 2 paths on straight sections.

frozen...@yahoo.com

Oct 12, 2014, 10:03:36 AM10/12/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
saw that

DDME-Marc

Oct 12, 2014, 2:41:01 PM10/12/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mikk,

Try redrawing the box as a solid (eg dont hollow it out), and then run KISSlicer with profile setting attached.

With those settings KISSlicer will do the hollowing for you.

Cheers,

Marc
thin_wall.jpg

PenskeGuy

Oct 13, 2014, 5:28:22 AM10/13/14
On Sunday, October 12, 2014 6:30:58 AM UTC-7, Mikk Kiilaspää wrote:
Increasing the wall thickness at some point fixes the corners, but then the straight walls are done by two lines, not a single one any more.

This is because your model doesn't have an actual uniform thickness all the way around. The internal radius of the corners isn't at the same center as the external radius. It all depends upon the method used to create the thickness, whether the wall will actually be uniform or only look as if it is. KS does know and computes the paths accordingly. All that has to happen is the wall be a tenth of a mm under the threshold and the path will get truncated.

Mikk Kiilaspää

Oct 13, 2014, 6:54:38 AM10/13/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Well, in Solidworks it definitely has a uniform thickness. I exported it with 0.01 mm precision.
Capture.PNG

frozen...@yahoo.com

Oct 13, 2014, 7:57:14 AM10/13/14
Your model may measure uniform thickness in Solidworks, but your mesh export doesn't.

When compared to a mesh with more points along the curve, on your mesh, the vertex points of the inside curve are not in line perpendicular to the tangent of the outside curve points, resulting in non-uniform 0.4mm distances when measured perpendicular to the tangent of the curve. Your model is in red, higher face division in white. Your wall thickness is under .4mm and over .4mm depending on where it is measured along the curve.

Even a higher resolution mesh will only slice with Crowning passes. To get single wall paths, you have to slice Hollow or Vase.

Not seeing your issue with slicing Hollow.
not_0.4mm.jpg
over_under.jpg