Planning to make this group visible for everyone at 27-4-2014

funBart

Apr 25, 2014, 3:25:43 PM4/25/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
We have planned to change the group "visibility" more open at sunday 27 april, so everyone can read posts without being a member of the group.
For posting it's still necessary to be a member. No big deal: as always everybody got approved...

Jonathan would like that only members can download the Beta's, we have to figure out if that's standard or a very hidden setting somewhere.

For posting / replying it's already possible to do that by email.

Bart

frozen...@yahoo.com

Apr 25, 2014, 11:11:51 PM4/25/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Think there's any chance of the old forum being restored, or restarted fresh by Jonathan?

I could see this getting messy here and hard to follow without sub-forum sections.

lonesock (Jonathan)

Apr 26, 2014, 2:05:20 AM4/26/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
That is definitely my eventual goal...I really appreciate this group "standing in the gap" until I can make that happen!

Jonathan

funBart

Apr 27, 2014, 4:05:49 PM4/27/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Jonathan, I just discovered that when making the group Public, it's possible to download stuff from posts / the Beta's as well.
I scrolled through the options of Google Group, but no possibility seen to change that.
What do you prefer? For now I made it closed again.

About going back to the old forum: that was the main thought anyway. It's not a good idea to get the info spread everywhere. But some thoughts about that:
  • I surely like the look and feel of the old forum way more than Google Groups. Especially the sub forums and the Polls (I personally liked to make ;-)
  • But, the advantage of Google Groups is that there is zero spam to clean (as it seems to be done automatically) and it has the possibility to (re)post by email.
  • So if Jonathan prefers (as well) to get the old forum in the air again, I would prefer to do that in a coordinated way: to announce it here, maybe one email to all members, lock all topics, copy some interesting ones back to the original KS forum, and finally close it down here completely.
But to avoid the same crisis as in the past 42 weeks, I would like to see that Jonathan makes a couple of people Moderator with full rights of the original forum.

About the possibility to ping Jonathan in bad times (as Florian suggested) I'm happy that Mrs Lonesock has joined this forum as well, so there is at least one of us actually seeing mr Lonesock in real life...

However, that keeps me puzzled: How can two Lonesocks make a pair ;-)

Bart

Cheryl Dummer

May 1, 2014, 2:34:15 PM5/1/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Jonathan says: (as transcribed by helper-wife)

Lets keep it closed for just a little bit longer. Good call.
I'm mostly looking for constructive input on the beta builds, and I still feel members do a better job with that.

Regarding forum migration: I like the plan. I'm perfectly ok having people be moderators. I think a good deadline would be to coincide with the 1.5 release, so we have some time. We will keep the forum members up-to-date on when it's coming and all that.

And finally, to answer your question:
How can two Lonesocks make a pair?
It's mostly static cling. ;)

~the Two-socks

PenskeGuy

May 3, 2014, 5:22:50 AM5/3/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jonathan!

Glad to learn that you are well. Bit of a surprise. Just thought I'd check in to see if anything had improved and here you are. As you know, you had a lot of us really concerned to the point that it really became weird (which, I have read, some people just don't quite grok and are berating people for it).

As I posted in an earlier thread, I am all for resurrecting the original forum. It is far more flexible and easier to follow. You can edit your posts when you screw up or remember something after you've hit the button or wrote something in haste and really should retract. Here, you're stuck with it and this editor really sucks to boot.

I'm available as a Moderator to keep spam from becoming the problem it was. If we only could have had that access in the first place, none of that would have even gotten started. We have two WordPress Multisite installs on our server, one running a SimplePress forum. No problems with spam at all, but I keep things pretty well in check and locked down.

Welcome back and thanks for the new version. I was going into withdrawal after such an extended period of betas streaming in.

Rick Zehr

May 17, 2014, 1:21:25 AM5/17/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Interesting! Today I noticed that this Google Group now has Edit enabled. It's under the down-arrow at the right of your posts "More message actions".

I don't know if editing a post also changes your post in the posts of anyone who quoted you, but I'd bet not. Anyone know for sure?

Tim Hester

May 17, 2014, 8:24:43 AM5/17/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com

Keep in mind also that editing a post has no impact on email. I have mine configured for "Send me an email for every new message". That setting essentially turns the forum functionally into a mailing list. I rarely go to groups.google.com, preferring to interact with the group through email.

All posts are immortalized forever immediately upon submitting.