Do I need to use the clean_gcode.py script?

Plexus Brett

Jun 19, 2014, 2:39:58 PM6/19/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I have been using the clean_gcode.py script that someone posted that optimizes KISSlicer gcode. The code has this explanation below. With the current beta versions, do I need to use this script anymore (meaning, have these issues been resolved in the more current versions)?

thanks
Brett

from clean_gcode.py:
"This eliminates stuttering caused by too many extra G1 commands on straight lines or very short segments. It also reduces Gcode file size by up to 20%, without reducing print quality or resolution."

toranarod

Jun 21, 2014, 3:38:01 AM6/21/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I have never seen this post process before.   I want to give it a try. sounds like it has a major influence on the print.
I like you engineering of the Race. very nice.

toranarod

Jun 21, 2014, 8:11:30 PM6/21/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I have Just used this clean gcode post script,  it seen to work as it does not destroy a print but improvements.  Maybe?
has anybody else on this forum giving it a try or has used it in the past.  seems to work better on the Cubex than the Touch. or is somebody just taking the piss?
Should do a win merge.

toranarod

Jun 21, 2014, 8:13:27 PM6/21/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
winMerg both files are identical. Somebody is taking the Piss.LOL  don't wast your time.

plexuss

Jun 24, 2014, 4:33:30 PM6/24/14
You might not have been using it correctly, for me the resulting .clean file is on average about 2-5% smaller. It seems to remove movements that are 0.01-0.05 units difference, for example, in the KISSlicer output there are these two lines:

G1 X80.68 Y127.83 E9.0086
G1 X80.64 Y127.81 E9.0097

and the script will remove the G1 X80.68 Y127.83 E9.0086 as its only X0.04 Y0.02 units different. I've been using the script for about year now and it hasn't had any ill effect on the print so I believe it's helping to reduce unnecessary movement and reduce gcode filesize.

I was hoping lonesock would have implemented some of these efficiencies in KISSlicer since then. I will keep using the script until I hear otherwise.

thanks