Support material Z gap bug

David Melvin

Mar 11, 2014, 8:35:33 AM3/11/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone found a way to address the way support material is bonded in horizontal layers. As z gap only effect sloping parts..

Thanks in advance.

David

A. Elias

Mar 11, 2014, 8:54:25 AM3/11/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Can you explain your issue a little more in detail?

David Melvin

Mar 13, 2014, 8:00:53 AM3/13/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com

Basically.
when support material is added to horizontal parts, there is no gap at all.. this makes it very difficult to remove.   The gap is only applied to sloping walls which are supported.

THIS would really make this software work for me...   this is really the only bug I have..

CURA - poor support
SLIC3R slow
Simplyfy 3D poor support material

Finally found the perfect solution, but again this offers THE best support material, but cant remove it on horizontal areas.

anyone got any tips how to fix this bug

A. Elias

Mar 13, 2014, 8:47:19 AM3/13/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I really like KISSlicer compared to CURA and Slic3R.  I haven't shelled out the cash of Simplify3D yet and I don't plan to in the near future.

If there is a gap between the support material and horizontal surface of the part then the extruded plastic will fall down and sit on the support material and not give you a decent surface.  Basically it would be bridging and you'd have a slight buldge downward on that horizontal surface. If there was a way to specify the distance that would be nice as an option.

Here are some options for you:

1. You can convert to HIPS which is a soluble support material in a certain chemical. You need more than one extruder to make this work.  One for part material and one for HIPS.

2. You can get a good set of chisels and break off the support (this is what I do).

3. You can print your part at a slight angle so the gap setting will occur (I usually do 20 to 30 degree tilt).  I do this for PCBs fit checks I'm printing, you'll use more material, but will have less support material to remove.

4. You can split your part up and print it in pieces and then solvent bond it together.  This is what some people do on the MakerGear group.

5. You can try Meshmixer which will create support pillars instead of the typical support grid, then slice in your tool of choice.

ADam

toranarod

Mar 13, 2014, 3:34:55 PM3/13/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I have been reading and inter reacting on 3d forum post for a year or so now.  I have also done over 5000 printing hours with my machines. and many up grades

This is what I think.   WE look to the software to solve all our problems. We are so dependant on the  computer technology we just assume Software can make a machine do any thing.

Some of the refinements we would like to see in our printing jobs can be resolve more with hardware modes and refinements to the extruder's and bearing tolerances and so on

Its been a challenge to take an objective look at the machines and say this is a hardware problem or is it a software problem. or could I tweak both.

I had the same  issue as you could not remove the support.  tried every thing the computer could  manipulate to help.  But when I started trying different extruder designs.
the problem was solved.      I have got to a point where i have now different nozzles and heating systems on the same printer that i interchange depending on what i am build and software setting to go with the various mechanical set ups I put in my printers. Some of the objects i now manufacture look as they should go on display.

I have a 3 head machine that has been so modified it runs a different power supply to each nozzle I controlling the current and voltage to the heating elements giving you control over things the software can not do. this is only one example,

I am also a software guy, My next modification is a processor piggy backing the extruder driver IC.

Just a thought

cheers