Dual Color with KISSlicer

Nohtal Partansky

Jul 26, 2014, 9:54:38 PM7/26/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Hello Everyone!

I couldn't find a current thread on dual extrusion so I figured I would start one so people could share prints/experience/gcodes. I just started using KISSlicer and I am focusing mostly on getting dual extrusion down because there doesn't seem to be a better option out there.

I am able to print with HIPS dissolvable support and I can attach a gcode if anyone wants to learn the settings. However, the first problem I am having with version 1.4.6 is that when I try a dual color print KISSlicer attempts to slice the model and then fails after the first pass. Any ideas?

funBart

Jul 26, 2014, 10:19:59 PM7/26/14
Hi, welcome!
About your question, I had crashes with the next issues:
  • is the object almost error free? You can see that after loading the stl in the "model and paths"view
  • if you have a PRO key: is the oversample resolution set at 0.1mm or higher?
  • Have you set the RAM warning on the Misc tab to a 'save' value?
  • Is KS / the KS folder on a place you have all rights (eq Desktop)
otherwise: post which OS you use (mac/windows/linux), your (dual) stl's and the ini files used (that are the configuration files in the same folder as Kisslicer)
Bart

Nohtal Partansky

Jul 27, 2014, 3:38:40 AM7/27/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Bart,

So I have no errors in my st files.
My resolution is set to .125mm
My RAM warning is set to 6GB I have 8GB total
I run KS from my dropbox and I just tried it from my desktop...no dice.

I am running windows 8.1 Pro and I have attached the files in a zip folder.

Thanks in advance!

  • if you have a PRO key: is the oversample resolution set at 0.mm or higher?
  • Have you set the RAM warning on the Misc tab to a 'save' value?
  • Is KS / the KS folder on a place you have all rights (eq Desktop)
otherwise: post which OS you use (mac/windows/linux), your (dual) stl's and the ini files used (that are the configuration files in the same folder as Kisslicer)
Bart

On Sunday, 27 July 2014 03:54:38 UTC+2, Nohtal Partansky wrote:
Nohtal_KISSlicer.change2zip

Nohtal Partansky

Jul 27, 2014, 5:48:15 PM7/27/14
Ok I think I got it! So it seems that when KISSlicer slices my files it combines the two file names. This poses a problem because then my filename is super long "Vertical Calibration_bandsVertical Calibration_base.gcode" which I guess is too long of a file name and the save fails. Maybe a popup window that says "your name is too long" could help sort that out in the future. I'll post some cool pictures later :D

funBart

Jul 27, 2014, 6:03:25 PM7/27/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I just tested your posted files, and had the same as you had: not being able to save the Gcode file (as I now understand you meant with the second pass). I had to save it with a edited (shortened) file name, and then it went ok.
Now I understood your problem: I have it had several times with different Beta's as well, but with me it didn't seem that the length of the filename was the issue, it just had to be slightly different than the 'standard' generated Gcode. But I can be wrong.

It surely can get some improvement; I know that there was a fix in the past already to shorten the filename when there are many different stl's are placed on the build plate.

Let's ask Jonathan nicely to think about it, as for new users this is frustrating.

Bart