bfb3000 replace electronics and extruder

Christopher Settle

Mar 17, 2014, 7:21:10 PM3/17/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'm pondering whether it might be a good time to replace the controller, extruder and hotend on my increasingly temperamental bfb3000 for some more common reprap parts. The frame had always been well built and must have some more miles left in it if combined with say a Ramps board, a geared extruder and E3D hotend.

Has anyone done something like this or know anyone that has?

I found one on youtube but couldn't find any details

Best
Chris

bob cousins

Mar 18, 2014, 4:40:35 PM3/18/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
It's not the 3000, but I have been running a Rapman with "Reprap like" electronics for a few years https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvIpMBKUcCI

In that video, I am using an Arduino Due with RAMPS-FD, but I am quite sure Mega+RAMPS would do the job.

It was mostly a straightforward conversion, just a little tweak to get the homing to work correctly and establish workable print speeds (quite low it turns out).

I have replaced the hotend with a cheap compatible one from ebay (which is now also failing !). I looked into mounting a Gregs type extruder, but it is a difficult fit, most Reprap hotends are too short. I have some designs for a printed carriage, I haven't got to the point of trying one yet.
prusa.png