New Cubex Trio User with Kisslicer AND Cubeitmod

Trevor Finlay

Sep 16, 2014, 1:02:38 PM9/16/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I am a new user to 3d printing and the Cubex.

I've made the switch to Kisslicer for the more controls.

I've done the appropriate setup of cubeitmod and I've tried to print this treefrog:  http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:18479

Every single time, I end up stopping half way because I end up with blob of PLA instead of relatively clean layers.

If anyone could help, I'd be much obliged.

giovanni.v

Sep 16, 2014, 1:59:22 PM9/16/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi Trevor,
what filament are you using ?
Do you calibrate the printer with this filament ?

hugues

Sep 16, 2014, 2:05:19 PM9/16/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
If you have blob at the middle print, check your %solid and %infill in the material tab. One of those or the two can be the cause.

Trevor Finlay

Sep 16, 2014, 2:25:23 PM9/16/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I am using 3DS PLA Blue.

I'm trying to do a calibration according to "Thin Wall an Solid Cube Calibration for KISSlicer, but now I can't get the PLA to extrude uniformly.  It misses a lot of spots in the think wall cube.

giovanni.v

Sep 16, 2014, 2:52:14 PM9/16/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Do you have used the ini files I've posted into the first message of the Cubeitmod V4.5 thread ?

Trevor Finlay

Sep 16, 2014, 2:56:27 PM9/16/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I have them placed into the KISSlicer folder.  Everything seemed to transfer just fine.

Just did the thin wall calibration, had to set the Flow Tweak to 1.1 to get the proper thin wall thickness.

Running the solid cube calibration now.

giovanni.v

Sep 16, 2014, 3:05:47 PM9/16/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
what layer thickness are you using ?

Trevor Finlay

Sep 16, 2014, 3:39:31 PM9/16/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
0.1

giovanni.v

Sep 16, 2014, 4:19:07 PM9/16/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
The settings into the ini files are tuned for 0.1 layer thickness and 3Dsystems filament.
I'ts really strange that you cant print well with them.
Can you post pictures and the bfb bak files?
Can you print the attached file with PLA on extruder 1 and let me know? ( it's a short test, takes only a few minutes)
TestSolidCourt(10).bfb

Trevor Finlay

Sep 16, 2014, 5:45:06 PM9/16/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Sure.  The printer is at my school, so tomorrow I will print the Test you have provided and post the pictures and files you've requested.

I really appreciate the help.
Message has been deleted

Trevor Finlay

Sep 17, 2014, 8:15:02 AM9/17/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
So I've got everything tested.

Just a thought... the tree frog I made was scaled to 50%.  Could that happen because the part is so small and the pastic isn't cooling enough between layers?

Attached are all of the files that you requested.

treefrog_45_cut (rebuilt).bfb
treefrog_45_cut (rebuilt).bfb.bak
IMG_20140917_080554.jpg
IMG_20140917_080611.jpg
IMG_20140917_093350.jpg
IMG_20140917_093355.jpg
Message has been deleted

Trevor Finlay

Sep 17, 2014, 8:17:40 AM9/17/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com

So I've got everything tested.

Just a thought... the tree frog I made was scaled to 50%.  Could that happen because the part is so small and the pastic isn't cooling enough between layers?

Above are all of the files that you requested.

giovanni.v

Sep 17, 2014, 9:23:05 AM9/17/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi Trevor,
the small triangle is not so bad, that means your printer prints well with Kisslicer and Cubeitmod.
The treefrog is not an easy part to print, Cubeitmod makes one part of the job but you have to choose the right settings to have successful print.
The treefrog has mainly 3 problems :
1- a lot of curves with differents lengths ( this is managed by Cubeitmod)
2- a lot of overhang on the abdomen of the frog
3- very small surfaces on the top of the head

Has you understood all alone the problem on points 2 and 3 is to allow the part to cool down before printing another layer.
I suggest you to enable the prime pillar and with inflate raft move the pillar at good distance from the part ( 50 mm should be OK ) then in "Printer" "Speed" tab reduce the x,y travel speed to 50 or 80.

By that way the part is printed with a good speed ( too low speed puts too much heat on the part ) but before the next layer the printer will move to the pillar and as you have placed it at a good distance and the x,y speed is reduced this will take time and allow the printed layer to cool down.

Trevor Finlay

Sep 17, 2014, 9:48:06 AM9/17/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Thanks so much.  I'm currently printing a Yoda head, and I'm finding a similar issue to the frog started when I started the overhang of his chin.  So I think you are exactly correct for points #1 and 2 being the cause of my problem.

I'm going to be making an eiffel tower tonight for a demonstration so I will definitely use the prime pillar and speed advice.

Thanks again!

Trevor Finlay

Sep 17, 2014, 9:50:54 AM9/17/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I have found everything.  Which type of raft should I use?

giovanni.v

Sep 17, 2014, 10:08:44 AM9/17/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
skirt