Thin walls

Tomi Saloranta

Feb 16, 2014, 11:17:17 AM2/16/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Is there any program that could thicker too thin walls? I run thin wall analysis and there are several walls that are too thin. The model is complex and scaled down perhaps too much.

Bart

Feb 16, 2014, 12:05:00 PM2/16/14

The simplest way is with kisslicer itself,  by adjusting the offset on the style tab.  Adjusting it to a negative value is resulting in an expanding in XY plane. In my experience the value has something between 0 and - 0.2mm depending of the model.  Slice and inspect the results so that on all spots there is at least one extrusion  resulting.  Important as well for a good result is to set the oversample resolution not to heigh (I use 0.07mm on delicate prints) and the crowning to 1mm. These last settings on the  'misc'  tab (pro only)
But I'm curious as well if there are other ways in a modeller or repair program.  Earlier attempts of me to do that in Magics (negative shrinkwrap)  or meshmaker had not a good result.

Bart

Tomi Saloranta

Feb 16, 2014, 1:18:00 PM2/16/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Do you mean inset surface setting? Mine is 0.2 now. Or if I change 2 loops to 3 does it thicker the walls?

funBart

Feb 16, 2014, 2:51:15 PM2/16/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Ah yes, I mean Inset, but you have to make it a negative value to expand the XY plane. So, try a value of (minus) -0.2 first, if it does the trick.

It's no use to increase the number of loops. Kisslicer is always slicing so that the outside of the extrusion is the outside of the model. When having an extrusion width of 0.4mm, than Kisslicer puts the center of the extrusion path 0.2mm towards the inside. the next step in slicing is to fit in as many loops as set on the Style tab before doing the infill. When there are fitting only two loops in stead of the wanted 3 loops, it still only spits out two loops.

Kisslicer has a feature I haven't seen on other slicers: that's when there's for example, room for 2.5 loops, it's generating first 2 loops, but that 0.5 width loop as well. That feature (crowning threshold on the Misc tab) has set to 1mm for this output. You can switch it off by setting it to (minus)-1 for prints that don't need that, because it speeds up the print.

Bart

Plexus Brett

Feb 17, 2014, 9:35:38 PM2/17/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi. Can you explain what this setting does exactly and why it would get used? I was just trying it out but no setting made a difference in what i could see when comparing the paths as displayed by kisslicer. thanks!