Skin not solid

Bernd Haar

Jul 24, 2014, 7:14:08 AM7/24/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I do have the problem with the base of my prints that most of the time the skin attached to the bed does not get filled properly. Between every two paths remains a gap and the surface gets translucent and not watertight (see attached picture).
I do not really know what to alter in the parameters as i tried to increase the flow tweak, extrusion width and layer thickness. Also the distance between nozzle and bed has been calibrated.

A test using Slic3r delivered better results.... perhaps I am selecting something wrong....

Do you have any further suggestions?
IMG_1245.JPG

funBart

Jul 24, 2014, 8:09:55 AM7/24/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Welcome here!
No need to compare results with other slicers. They are all good in base. This results improve surely with some settings to tweak.

To me it seems you have set skin thickness to zero (0) so the result you see is actually the infill set (although it's odd the lines are grouped)
Can you try again with skin thickness set to 1mm or so, extrusion width @ nozzle diameter (probably 0.4mm), same for the extrusion width of the infill, 0.4mm. Infill% to 25%. Number of loops set to 2.

No need to print at first"check the results on the Model+Path or Path view as selectable on top of the KS window.
When still no good results, post screens of all the settings used, or the used ini files in the KS folder, or the beginning of the Gcode generated (with the check-box checked on the Printer// firmware tab).

Bart

PenskeGuy

Jul 24, 2014, 7:46:43 PM7/24/14
On Thursday, July 24, 2014 5:09:55 AM UTC-7, funBart wrote:
To me it seems you have set skin thickness to zero (0) so the result you see is actually the infill set (although it's odd the lines are grouped)

Yes, 2 then a gap doesn't make sense. As Bart asks, does the Path view show this alternate spacing or are they uniform pitch?

frozen...@yahoo.com

Jul 24, 2014, 9:48:59 PM7/24/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
To me it looks like incorrect extrusion width, and low on the flow tweak.

PenskeGuy

Jul 25, 2014, 6:13:34 AM7/25/14
On Thursday, July 24, 2014 6:48:59 PM UTC-7, frozen...@yahoo.com wrote:
To me it looks like incorrect extrusion width, and low on the flow tweak.

Possibly part of it, but those don't explain the alternate spacing.

frozen...@yahoo.com

Jul 25, 2014, 8:18:54 AM7/25/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Didn't notice that, it was late!

Franz Scherz

Jul 25, 2014, 6:03:54 PM7/25/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Can you post the g-code file? This would help to find the problem!

Lawrence LaRocque

Jul 26, 2014, 2:52:33 PM7/26/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I would like to see it as well.

Scott Estes

Jul 27, 2014, 1:18:22 AM7/27/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Are the outer dimensions of the print correct? Are you circles round (not oval)? This could be an issue with the X and Y travel not being equal when they should be.

Aggresive

Aug 21, 2014, 7:30:46 PM8/21/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
inevitably if you're getting uneven spacing with extrusion, it's a mechanical/firmware issue in the x/y axes, usually backlash of some sort. especially as it looks like there's a shift further up the part, it could be just that kisslicer is printing faster than slic3r, which makes the issue more noticeable.

loose belts, wandering pulleys, carriage slipping on the belt, unlikely to be incorrect steps/mm if it's a stock printer (op doesn't say) as the firmware won't have been changed.

Wing Wong

Aug 21, 2014, 7:49:47 PM8/21/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Questions:

1) What kind of printer are you printing the item with?  Specs?
2) What are the print settings?
3) What does the rest of the print look like? What were the differences between the Kisslicer/Slic3r settings?

Just looking at the cube, the upper left portion has tighter lines than the middle and bottom right. As you've pointed out, the gaps alternate.

Others have noted: possibly insufficient flow/width.

This could be due to wobble on your setup, which means there is some tilt/shift when moving in one direction, but not in another, sufficient to create the alternating gaps. Though that doesn't explain the lack of material, which could be a sign of insufficient extrusion.

Minor differences between how pathing is done between Kisslicer and Slic3r could mask the underlying config/build issues better, but since the later under the top layer also shows gaps, I'm thinking it's most likely as others have suggested: insufficient flow or width. There could be a bias in the build of the printer.

W.