Hot ends are slightly different heights

Kyle Springer

Oct 14, 2014, 6:23:34 PM10/14/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
The hot end I ordered for my 3D Touch is a little different, it looks to be better built and have a finer tip with sharper angles around it, however it appears to be a fraction of a mm to a mm off from the other one which makes the Z height configuration hard, is there a way to fix this problem?

PenskeGuy

Oct 15, 2014, 1:00:11 AM10/15/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Off in which direction? Which one is low? Either way, you could just shim the low one to raise it, so that it matches. Failing that, file off a bit... IF it is not that large of a difference. The danger of the latter is that the bore only goes a short distance up into the nozzle. File too much off and the bore diameter increases.

Peter Gregory

Oct 15, 2014, 9:29:52 AM10/15/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Also, just to clarify, loosening the hot end mount grub screw on both hot ends and adjusting the short one all the way down and the tall one all the way up still results in the tall one being too tall?
You may need to remove the filament from both hot ends using the replace menu option to get the hot ends to move to the extents of the mount free play.
Rather than grind the tall one down, I'd suggest getting another tall hot end so they both match.
It sounds like the new ones are better quality.

Isaac Thompson

Oct 15, 2014, 3:49:21 PM10/15/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
there isn't a way to adjust the z-stop ? on my printer i've got almost a half inch of adjustment in the z-stop, and another half inch or so in the bed height screws. i don't have a 3d touch though

Kyle Springer

Oct 15, 2014, 5:46:22 PM10/15/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I guess I could set it high so I have some tolerance, problem is the new tip, which is a bit lower than the other ext is one I use for PLA bc it does much better, so I can't get the ABS close enough without probably having the PLA Ext scrape, but I guess I'll have to oder another hot end or switch the ABS and PLA. Thanks for the help!

Isaac Thompson

Oct 16, 2014, 4:55:44 PM10/16/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Whoops, didn't realize u were running both at the same time. Maybe a couple of good pictures wouod be helpful.