copy post "ETA to multicolor?"

funBart

Dec 14, 2013, 6:54:28 PM12/14/13
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com

Shadowblues

  • Newbie
  • *
    • Personal Message (Offline)
ETA to multicolor?
« on: May 28, 2013, 12:04:44 PM »
Hi,

just bought the pro version of the program just to realize that only the support can be printed with another head and not another color? Quite sad to hear that - I see nearly no use in the third extruder in that setp. So please make the multi color option available as soon as possible. Call me for beta-tester if you want :-)

Until then: How can I calibrate the position of the heads with KISSlicer Pro?

Roger

P.S: The verification questions are quite hard - even for a human.

lonesock (Jonathan)

  • KISSlicer Developer
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Alibre -> KISSlicer -> RapMan 3.1
    • The KISSlicer Website
    • Email
    • Personal Message (Offline)
Re: ETA to multicolor?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 01:11:25 PM »
Hi!

I'm working on it now.  Multiple mesh loading is in place (still STL format, but the positions are kept intact relative to each other).  I am working on multi-pass slicing, and some changes to the infrastructure to support assigning each sub-meshes' paths to an "extruder group".  After that is done, I will be posting an alpha version here in the forum.

As to ETA, I'm not sure.  It's progressing well, but I have to be out of town for a funeral for most of the rest of this week.  [8^(  I can guarantee that this function is big enough that I will need all the testing help I can get...neither I nor most of my beta testers have multi-head machines.

thanks,
Jonathan
*A2TD : "Added to the ToDo list"

Kiss-Lover

  • Newbie
  • *
    • Personal Message (Offline)
Re: ETA to multicolor?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 07:41:53 AM »
About dualstrusion, am currently modding my printers for that, so I could help for testing early version.

Printing a multi-material part is based on having 2 STLs placed relatively to each other.
And the T0/T1 switch allows to have extruder1 for STL1 and extruder2 for STL2.

So, jonathan, in the mean time of having the code ready, would it be possible to have a script to merge 2 STLs, layer by layer, and adding T0/T1 when switching between STL same slice ?
Perhaps such a script exists (A gcode merger tracking layer change), it would be a useful waiting room, doctor !  ;D

Please understand, KS (pro) is so good, that I can't came back to s...3. to print a multi!  8)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 07:48:34 AM by Kiss-Lover »
Printing with Makergear M2
Designing custom Hotend & nozzles. (High-temp)

(Dual ORD BOT under construction)

Rob65

  • Newbie
  • *
  • SolidWorks-> KISSlicer -> Creatr & building custom
    • Personal Message (Offline)
Re: ETA to multicolor?
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 05:04:31 AM »

Please understand, KS (pro) is so good, that I can't came back to s...3. to print a multi!  8)

I have not used slic3r since ...
actually just 2 days ago to check multi color capabilities  but results were not what I expected  :-X

I have been using KS for quite some time - and I am trying to convince other Creatr users to start using KS.
Now some of them are asking me if KS can do multi-color prints but I don't even have the KS pro key to try this myself  :'(

Time to throw some money in Jonathan's direction and wait for the next alpha.

Rob

calinb

  • Jr. Member
  • **
    • Personal Message (Offline)
Re: ETA to multicolor?
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 05:36:15 PM »
It would be nice to be able to assign infill to a second extruder with a larger nozzle orifice.  This feature could significantly reduce print times for prints with solid infill.  Make stacking officially available (not requiring the work-around) for solid infill and it would be ever better!

artem

  • Newbie
  • *
    • Personal Message (Offline)
Re: ETA to multicolor?
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 07:50:32 AM »
I've got dual extrusion and I'd be willing to beta test.

tremor69

  • Newbie
  • *
    • Email
    • Personal Message (Offline)
Re: ETA to multicolor?
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 11:32:27 PM »
I just installed dual extrusion on my Ultimaker and would really like to help testing multicolor support whenever it is available.

stepava

  • Newbie
  • *
    • Email
    • Personal Message (Offline)
Re: ETA to multicolor?
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 01:09:05 AM »
Hi all, I also had a dual extrusion machine: a custom made 3D Printer (BadPrinter2, now in prototype phase: www.baddevices.wordpress.com) equipped with 2x E3D metal hotends.
Count on me for beta-testing; I'd like to try double colors and also double materials!

Regarding other slicer software I try both Cura and Slic3r for multiextruders, but I confirm that the results are not so good as expected.
For single color print I definetely switch to KISSlicer and love it  :) :) so I want to help improve the product.

Kiss-Lover

  • Newbie
  • *
    • Personal Message (Offline)
Re: ETA to multicolor?
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 06:34:41 AM »
+1 as a betatester for KS Pro multistruder!  8)

For those interested in backing this wonderful (and expected) feature, please support this python script idea here:http://kisslicer.com/forum/index.php?topic=669.msg5658#msg5658
Interleaving 2 parts layer by layer (with same slicing parameters) could be basic, compared to what we can expect from Jonathan, but getting some practice this way, could help us to grab experience with dualtrusion sooner.

Jonathan, could you please give us some feedback about this upcoming feature??
Printing with Makergear M2
Designing custom Hotend & nozzles. (High-temp)

(Dual ORD BOT under construction)

rjaallen

  • Newbie
  • *
    • Email
    • Personal Message (Offline)
Re: ETA to multicolor?
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 02:15:36 AM »
Hi All,

New user here,

I'm also very interested in dual extrusion,

I've been doing a number of prints using dual extruder's on an ultimaker,

Although cura is great I'm not completely satisfied with its ability to change the tool path settings for each material.

I want to print multi material prints and not just for the purpose of support structure. After playing with KISS for most of yesterday I'm loving the number of settings there are available to play with.

So long story short, I'm very keen to help with any dual extrusion beta testing.

Cheers,

Rob

Lochemage

  • Newbie
  • *
    • Email
    • Personal Message (Offline)
Re: ETA to multicolor?
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 01:35:56 PM »
Hi guys, I came across this problem a while ago trying to get my printer to print multi-colors.  I actually started writing a program that splices multiple gcode files into a single dualstrusion one.  It's called LocheGSplicer (https://bitbucket.org/Lochemage/lochegsplicer).  If you have two different models that are supposed to print together using dualstrusion, you can slice them each separately and then load both (or more than 2) gcode files into my program and it will combine them for you and setup the tool change codes for you.  The output is a single gcode file that uses multiple extruders.

You can also view some screens of the interface here: https://bitbucket.org/Lochemage/lochegsplicer/wiki/Screenshots

Unfortunately, production on this project has pretty much stopped as I have not really gotten any feedback on it.  If anyone's willing to give it a try (or possibly take over the project), perhaps it will give me reason to finish the work.  Even though it is not finished, it is still functional, it just misses some of the fine tuning bells and whistles that a pro app would have.

funbart

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
    • Email
    • Personal Message (Online)
Re: ETA to multicolor?
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 03:31:38 PM »
Hi,
I have used LocheGspicer a lot in the past as it gives a good 3D representation of dual Gcode. That was before I used Kisslicer, so I used LocheGspicer mainly with (dual) ReplicatorG output. It gave me a lot of insight before actual printing and wasting, so -better late then never- Thanks for it!

For now Slic3r does a good job with dual colored objects (and viewing it in Repetier Host) and Kisslicer with dual support structures.

As I remember there were only some problems with offset with the two Gcodes, as well there were fields missing to insert custom extruder change codes?

As it has to work with Kisslicer, that would be great! Only, because of the automatic placement of KS it must be able to easy (visual) place the two Gcodes, so they are actually on the right spot.

As for the support structure: it has to deal with the combined Gcode of the two objects. You could make a third -combined-  object in the modeler used and let KS generate the support structure for that combined object. (Maybe to define only E output for the support extruder and no E output for the 'object'  extruder)Then Lochesplicer should be able to combine 3 Gcode files and define with extruder to use with each Gcode file. Maybe to much ;-)I don't have the skills to program, but maybe others can help. I'm happy to test if you want!Bart
Modify message
Makerbot Replicator 1 dual
Minimalistic Mk8 replacement by Emmett
Sailfish Firmware
Kisslicer Pro 1.1.0 Alpha

pmuzz82

  • Newbie
  • *
    • Email
    • Personal Message (Offline)
Re: ETA to multicolor?
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 01:41:25 AM »
I second testing this out if more work is undertaken. I am not a programmer either but assume a lot of the gcode splicing and extruder assignment could be done in the background if LocheGSplicer ran in the background or as a popup option when opening STLs a bit like how Slic3r works with the "File" "Combine Multi Material STL Files" options from the Plater. Initially just the multi colour dual/triple extrusion option would be great within KISSlicer. For those of us lucky enough to have a third extruder option I would allocate support to a dedicated extruder (eg ext 3) and then if the project allows maybe Lochemage can further improve from there. In my experience Slic3r has always been plagued with various bugs when doing multi colour prints which means useful dual/triple hot end setup features such as z lift do not work properly (fixed in latest version) and the tool change g code is executed on every layer change when using ext 1, 2 but not 0 if that makes sense (have not checked if this occurs in the latest RC of Slic3r). KISSlicer has always been a very polished slicing engine for dual printing with object on one extruder and support/interface/raft on the second.
Lochemage have you PMed Jonathan about this, maybe he would be willing to give you the keys to the back door of KISSlicer to integrate this and/or finish off what he has no doubt been working on for this in the past? Maybe not?

Cheers,

Paul

Lochemage

  • Newbie
  • *
    • Email
    • Personal Message (Offline)
Re: ETA to multicolor?
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 12:22:53 PM »
Adding a command line interface to the app is an obvious coarse of action if I am to continue the project. Same with extruder change gcode etc. I did have ideas to integrate other slicer programs; This would allow you to load up STL files instead of just gcode and have the program slice all the models and then splice them together in one operation.

As far as integrating it directly into KISSlicer, I'm all for it.  If Jonathan wants my help with it then I'll make myself available.  It's also open source, so he could also pull whatever he wants into it himself.  However, I would also like to keep it a separate app as well in case anyone intends to use it with another slicer or maybe even a combination of slicers.

This conversation is locked