Help understanding thin wall

Bkjnky

Sep 16, 2014, 12:37:53 AM9/16/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

KISS is showing these paths in the slicer so this is not a bug report.  I am looking for help understanding if this is a design issue on my part or a setting issue that I am mis-understanding.  As depicted in the picture, I seem to be unable to get the walls to print more than just a perimeter path once between Z Height 3.145mm and 10.345.  Once beyond 10.345mm the crowning path appears again.  Any help would be appreciated!

PenskeGuy

Sep 16, 2014, 1:07:07 AM9/16/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
When Crowning appears and disappears, it is usually due to non-uniform wall thickness in the model. This happens when the computational threshold is right at the point of being able to fit a Crowning path in between the Loop. You can either modify the model to be slightly thicker walled or adjust the Extrusion Width down by a tiny amount and re-slice. Increment it down in larger steps until the Crowning appears consistently and then in smaller increments, go back larger until it begins to break up again; then back off a bit until it is consistent.

That the Crowning appears at the start of the radius corners is a clear indication of this. Depending upon how the model was built, quite frequently the concentric corner radii aren't actually on the same center; yielding a slight difference in thickness. Difficult to see but accurate measurements of the model across the wall should show this variation.

Bkjnky

Sep 16, 2014, 11:57:24 PM9/16/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Thanks penski! That was the exact issue.