Top Layer finish

Pedro Feliciano

Jan 14, 2014, 2:39:20 PM1/14/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm using Kisslicer and my top layer finishes are horrible, I tried all kinds of settings on kisslicer but can't seem to figure out how to get a nice finish, the sides of the print are awesome.
Does anyone know how I can get a nice top layer finish.

A. Elias

Jan 14, 2014, 2:45:54 PM1/14/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Please post a picture and your current settings.

funBart

Jan 14, 2014, 2:49:25 PM1/14/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Please post some pics and settings used, as it's hard to tell what's causing it without.

But one thing comes to mind, as I had it once with a large horizontal surface: do you have enough infill and skin thickness defined on the Style tab? Because with to small numbers, there are to less layers to 'bridge' over the sparse infill, leaving an uneven surface.
The setting I normally use is: 33 or 50% infill and 0.8mm Skin thickness.

When you don't want to have a diagonally infill on the top, a trick is to define a lot of Loops (say 50). But when using that number the complete object will be solid. That's not for each kind of object wanted.
Bart

Rick Zehr

Jan 14, 2014, 3:31:30 PM1/14/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
The newer slic3r does a Lot better job than KS on crowns, because you can change the layer thickness from layer to layer.

For my product, with a flattened rounded top, I set the layer thickness thinner as it approaches the top. Down from .2mm on the rest of the piece, I reduce it to .15mm at 2mm from the top, and .1mm at .6mm. The effect is that the layers appear to be constant thickness all the way to the top instead of getting wider near the flatter-angled peak.

Slic3r does, however, do a lousy job of seam hiding, which is why I'm not using it.

Pedro Feliciano

Jan 15, 2014, 12:32:26 AM1/15/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
How do I upload pics and files on this site

A. Elias

Jan 15, 2014, 12:38:56 AM1/15/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Reply and look for the "Attach a file" link, you then select the file on your computer.  If using Chrome you can just drop the file into the message reply window.

Pedro Feliciano

Jan 15, 2014, 8:56:32 AM1/15/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com

The one on the left is on it's side, side print ok.
the one in the middle is the top horrible finish.
the one on the end is the bottom finish not bad.

Pedro Feliciano

Jan 15, 2014, 9:03:41 AM1/15/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com

nimra killio

Jan 15, 2014, 10:25:34 AM1/15/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
i'm not a pro but i'm trying to help based on my experience

1. based on your bottom and top cube i think it is either flow rate or bed too far from extruder

photo from sailfish firmware

2. what diameter is your extruder nozzle?

if it is 0.4 then try change extrude width and infill extrude width with 0.4 and set overlap to 0

3. change oversample resolution to 1 and crowning treshold to -1  for test purpose

Pedro Feliciano

Jan 15, 2014, 10:40:22 AM1/15/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
My nozzle diameter is 0.5
Where can I find overlap resolution and crowning, I don't see that on kisslicer

funBart

Jan 15, 2014, 10:52:40 AM1/15/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
That's a PRO function... 42 dollar normally ;-)

Pedro Feliciano

Jan 15, 2014, 11:41:00 PM1/15/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I tried your settings it"s a little better, but I also notice that the infill is not the same height of the skin height, so the top layer sinks in leaving an awful top layer finish, what or which setting do I have to adjust so the infill stays the same height of the skin layer.

Pedro Feliciano

Jan 16, 2014, 12:12:28 AM1/16/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
How do I add more layers to the top finish

nimra killio

Jan 16, 2014, 7:13:00 AM1/16/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
what? i never heard infill not the same height as wall
as long as your stacked sparse infill stay at 1~3
a photo might help

Pedro Feliciano

Jan 16, 2014, 7:24:50 AM1/16/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com

Can you see the issue, Do you know how I can get a better top layer finish
Thanks

A. Elias

Jan 16, 2014, 8:08:03 AM1/16/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Measure your filament, you have it entered at 1.7 mm.  Make sure your calipers are dialed in and zeroed out when closed.  Don't apply too much pressure.

I also see you extrusion width (flow tweak) 1.1.  This almost seems like you are compensating for your low filament diameter.  Set this to 1.0 as a starting point.

Lastly you have the loop solid infill overlap set to 0.5.  I typically keep this at 1.0.

I try to also do the perimeters a little smaller than the nozzle diameter, I have a 0.35mm nozzle and I typically dial this down to 0.32mm and then have the infill and support set to 0.4mm as I print them much faster than the perimeters.

Slic3r has settings to adjust the top finishes and states to reduce the nozzle diameter setting below what the nozzle actually is. I was skeptical but it actually worked in my case.

I typically dial in my settings for each filament type by printing a series a parts such as a thin walled part (~2 x nozzle diameter) and then a cube like you have.  I measure the thin part wall thickness tolerances in many areas and then the overall size of the parts and then adjust my settings.  I will have to do this about 5 or 6 times to get the settings dialed in to an acceptable level.

nimra killio

Jan 16, 2014, 8:49:19 AM1/16/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
is that the finished result? you didn't pause or cancel half way?
it's weird, top and bottom always solid whatever you change in settings

ok just to be sure,
1. redownload kisslicer
2. backup the whole folder before continue
3. make new folder for new kisslicer and just replace the whole setting
4. at the top and right from object view in kisslicer change models mode to path mode and scroll to see if your object had the right path for extrusion (top slider for path at current layer , right slider for change layer)

Pedro Feliciano

Jan 16, 2014, 11:05:15 AM1/16/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I Re-downloaded kisslicer and its not giving me the PATH option