Point and Dome caps

Daniel Wade

Jun 29, 2014, 10:43:21 PM6/29/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I just got ahold of a CubeX Duo this week, and made the switch from CubeX to KISSlicer the first day. I've been trying to fine tune the settings to get the best prints, but I've run across an issue that I'm not sure the best approach to fix is.

Whenever I have a relatively small area "slice", typically the tops of domes and points, the printer doesn't give enough time for the previous layer to solidify before trying to print the next layer. This results in the top turning into a little glob of PLA rather than nice layers. (I've attached an image below to illustrate the issue). The CubeX software has a nifty trick of moving the extrusion heads away so that the print is directly beneath the fans to cool the top layer faster, then returns to do the next layer. Is there any functionality like that which i can add in without going into the G-code and doing it myself for each layer that needs it?

Additionally, I'm also running into an issue at liftoff where a small "tail" is left behind. Any settings to reduce that?

I appreciate any help!

rsz_0629141458.jpg

Peter Gregory

Jun 29, 2014, 10:54:58 PM6/29/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
That's what the prime pillar is for.
It will let the layers of your print cool down while it prints the pillar

Franz Scherz

Jun 30, 2014, 2:58:45 PM6/30/14
I had same experience on small items because you only can set the minimum print time per layer but the printer will not wait aside.

I printed a simple object aside (like a cube) or used a prime pillar which moves head also elsewhere and is used to cool down the last layer from main object.

Ideally there would be an option to wait for x-seconds (retract and move the head out of object near the skirt) if print time is calculated lower tan y seconds/layer.

p.s.: Don't forget to switch on fan for last layers (for me in PLA I switch it on after first layer) also in ABS

Lawrence LaRocque

Jul 5, 2014, 6:42:02 PM7/5/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I had the same issue and didn't even think of using a prime pillar. Definitely worth trying. Thanks

PenskeGuy

Jul 13, 2014, 7:02:48 PM7/13/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
For small parts and parts having low cross section tops like this, rather than print the Prime Pillar which just wastes material, I usually find another part to print along with the first one. The head goes off to print the other part, which allows the small area to cool. Slowing down the layer time is counterproductive, as it makes the head stay on the small part longer, transferring more heat. Works for parts that have more than a tip to print at one time but, when that small area is all that there is, it becomes a mess.