Bug? Slicing not seeing hollow cavities?

Jeremy P

Aug 7, 2014, 2:30:00 PM8/7/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I have a model of a shifter that I sliced in version 1.1.0.14 and it sliced really well.

In version 1.4.4.6 , it does not recognize the hollow cavity and it has other odd artifacts latter on in the slice that is adjacent to the part itself.

In the screen shots you can see what I mean. The new version just ignores the I.D. and slices as if it were solid all of the way though.
I realize the artifacts  may be related to errors in the stl file but in the past, KISS was very forgiving perhaps.
The missing ID may be a different issue?

Thanks Johnathan for your hard work. KISS is my favorite program of all time!
Let my know if you want the stl file to try out yourself.
KISS 1-1-0-14.jpg
KISS 1-4-4-6 and some artifacts2.jpg
KISS 1-4-4-6 missing ID and some artifacts.jpg

lonesock (Jonathan)

Aug 7, 2014, 3:54:54 PM8/7/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
When KISSlicer went to supporting multi-material objects, I changed the code to handle overlapping sub-meshes.  This was so you could easily make complex objects, since you don't need a a perfectly matched Part A, Part B, and Part A+B.  You just specify which extruder gets priority, then let the sub-meshes overlap.  Unfortunately, a hollow void inside a mesh will look to KISSlicer exactly the same as an overlapped distinct submesh.  (KISSlicer also auto-inverts a mesh if all the face normals are pointing the wrong way, since a few STL exporters tend to do that.)  The upshot is, the behavior you are seeing is exactly what I would expect, though not what you want.

So, the options as I see them are:
  1. Manually select specific void meshes and make them void (if they outnumber the solid parts, you can make the whole object void, then change the solid parts back to the extruder of choice.  This should be a decent workaround for now.
  2. I could make an option that basically ignores submeshes on load, so KISSlicer will behave as before.  I'm not as excited about this one, since it disables some fairly cool features.
  3. I could make KISSlicer detect an inverted submesh, and if it has a negative volume I would query the user if they want to invert, or map to 'Void' automatically.  I like this option.
Thoughts?

Jonathan

Jeremy P

Aug 7, 2014, 5:29:22 PM8/7/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com

Ahhh, very cool!

I didnt notice the feature of selecting particular models for different extruders.  I am not quite sure what you mean by void meshes, sorry :). I like the work around since it gives me the fun of playing with your new features even though I do not have two extruders. This make twist my arm into setting it up though. Do you have anything I can read about how to make the object void and select the solids?

Even if you had two extruders, you would still have to set it up so it knows to acknowledge the open chambers?
Ill play around with it and see If I can figure out how to do what you are talking about.

Any ideas on the artifacts near the top? Maybe just errors in my stl and KISS has become less forgiving of this because of the more advanced capabilities?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Jeremy P

Aug 7, 2014, 5:41:08 PM8/7/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Ok cool, that works perfectly.  I just selected it as a void and it printed like it shoud.
Nice work, you are a freaking genius lol.

Any ideas about the artifacts? I have some good screenshots of it.
I seems to be from a blade edge you detected.( hah I can refer to KISS as you since your einstien brain is in it)

Thanks again,

Jeremy
Blade egde.jpg
Some artifacts.jpg
Some artifacts2.jpg

lonesock (Jonathan)

Aug 7, 2014, 5:42:01 PM8/7/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
When mapping extruders, you can select the model name (one level up in the 'tree' view) and assign an extruder to all submeshes at the same time.  If you select the submesh you will assign the extruder to only that submesh.  Let me work on the automated "select Invert or Void" function, for when a submesh is determined to be inside-out, and hopefully it will make more sense when you play with it.

I think the latest version of KISSlicer (v1.4.5.4) may handle those extra artifacts better.  It's at the end of the '1.5 Preview' post.  It's only for Windows right now, but I'm trying to get a relatively bug-free beta ready to post on the main site itself.  If no bugs are reported I will do a Mac and Linux build-fest.  [8^)

thanks,
Jonathan

Jeremy P

Aug 7, 2014, 5:52:52 PM8/7/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
It seems to work ok for me, I wouldnt worry about making the automated void function heh. If you really want something to work on, make it so you can remove support from areas you dont want it in while keeping  the rest. woot!
JK, I know you have a lot more you are working on. Unless you think that is a great idea :).  I think I put that in feature requests anyways. It is better to follow the feature request structure that is set up!

Thanks,

Jeremy

Jeremy P

Aug 7, 2014, 6:04:45 PM8/7/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Just checked the Windows version 1.4.5.4 and it seems it is still making a mess around the blade edge. FYI

Thanks,

Jeremy

Some artifacts-in win64-version-1-4-5-4.jpg

lonesock (Jonathan)

Aug 7, 2014, 6:06:04 PM8/7/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.  Do you mind posting the STL?  I will take a look at it.

thanks,
Jonathan

Jeremy P

Aug 7, 2014, 6:17:46 PM8/7/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Sure thing,

thanks
Jeremy
STARSHIFTER2.STL

funBart

Aug 8, 2014, 6:52:55 AM8/8/14
I really hope that KS stays predictable, so not to much 'auto changing' without warning. So if some repairing will be done with KS, I would opt for a clear distinction to have insight / do repairs, so there will be a distinction between the 'absolute KS' and the 'fuzzy stl KS'.
Regarding the void meshes: that option seems to get an own life, maybe similar to repair-like options but as modeler as well.
For me, the way KS now is working with the priority of submeshes and the void possibility is absolutely clear, but that is the option 1 you describe: as it is now? Or do I misunderstand that?
OTOH, right clicking on the model and having access to all that features on the Extruder mapping Window is (to me) clear enough, but would maybe benefit from a more extended window with options as 'invert normals of a mesh' void, and maybe the switch how to generate a support structure for that mesh.
Maybe others have some ideas about this as well. Penskeguy? ;-)
Bart