BFB 3000 Plus - Dual Extruder Troubleshooting

adampres...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2014, 1:17:53 PM8/17/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Kisslicer Refugees,

I recently purchased my first 3D printer - a used BFB 3000 Plus with various modifications and although the initial help I received from the seller was very good, I have reached the inevitable stage my knowledge has run out and I am encountering issues.  Please could you help me with the following.

Setup
BFB 3000 Plus, dual extruders.
OEM bed replaced with bespoke aluminium equivalent - 3M 2090 blue masking tape covered.
OEM filament system removed - using '3mm' faberdashery PLA.

Software Sequence:
Modelling in AutoDesk 123D Design (only using this to play with basic shapes and words so far).
Exporting models directly into AutoDesk MeshMixer (or saving first then opening with), correcting print orientation plus for the automatic .stl 'repair'.
Opening and slicing .stl in Kisslicer Pro, assigning extruders to the meshes and amateur level tinkering, then exporting to .bfb format.  I have inherited a full set of settings from the printer seller which have got me up and running without much editing so far.

Single extruder prints are working fine and I am now at the point where I am trying to introduce a second colour to a simple model (please see attached photograph).  I have not yet attempted to understand or edit the gcode, relying on the software to solve everything.  I have two issues that I need help with:

1) Extruder temperature.  I am printing PLA at 195 deg C, however, the extruders do not appear to obey the keep warm temperature when they are not printing.  The extruders are cooling off due to the fans continually running, ignoring the keep warm temperature.  I've tried 120, 175 and 195 deg C keep warm temperatures, all producing the same result.  The screen on the BFB shows which extrude is active with an asterisk, this asterisk flicks between extruders but never appears on both at the same time.  An extruder temperature only rises when the asterisk is shown by it, It almost seems like power is only being given to one extruder at a time?

The result of this is that even the most simple dual colour prints are very slow due to the repetitive waiting for the extruders to heat up.  Unconcerned with power usage, I would like to keep the inactive extruder as hot as possible without dribbling to minimise print time.

2) Extruder offset.  The extrduers initially had an offset of 0mm in x and y within Kisslicer.  My first attempt at a dual colour print came out as shown in the attached photograph, with a mismatch of about 8mm.  I put an +8mm offset on extruder 2 (the grey), not realising I needed +8mm on extruder 1 (the green), which meant in practice I actually needed -8mm on extruder 2, as extruder 1 is the reference / permanently no offset.

After correcting the offset, the first layer of the print came out correctly, however, when the second layer of the print started, extruder 2 was then offset from the first layer that it produced (layers are identical). Where am I going wrong here?

Kind regards,
Adam
ABC_combined.stl
ABC_combined.bfb
DualExtrusionPictures.pdf

toranarod

Aug 17, 2014, 2:08:12 PM8/17/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
The firmware controls the heating of the extruder's during a duel colour print and will not allow to extruder's to run there heaters simultaneously.
Mostly because the power supply would need to double its wattage capability at that time.   they never intended this. Its impossible to over ride the firmware on this.
All the BFB firmware on all there printer complies to this criteria.

Sergey Afonin

Aug 18, 2014, 3:56:13 AM8/18/14
Dear Adam,

BFB printers have internal offset correction. So you don't need to use it in KS. But you can specially setup printer for zero correction and ust it in KS.
Check manual for details.

User name: bfbcustomer (or bfbcustomers - I can't remember now)
Password: 3dprinting
if system asks you.

http://3dpedia.3dsystems.com/display/BFBXYCALIBRATION/Multiple+print+head+XY+calibration+manual

воскресенье, 17 августа 2014 г., 21:17:53 UTC+4 пользователь adampres...@gmail.com написал:
Kisslicer Refugees,

adampres...@gmail.com

Aug 19, 2014, 4:17:05 PM8/19/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
The thing that has me particularly puzzled is that I successfully used the KS offset to get the extruders in sync with one another on the first layer.  However, when the print moved on to the second layer, the layer was offset from the previous one.

Thank you for the explanations regarding the power (annoying but understandable) and the BFB firmware offset.  Bit of reading up to be done.