Blotches when using 0.1 mm layer thickness

Lawrence Hobson

Mar 24, 2014, 6:12:26 AM3/24/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I have been struggling with prints using layers thicknesses less than 0.25 mm. The print shown in the picture was done using 0.1 mm layers.
Whenever I print with layer thicknesses less than 0.25 mm it seems as if the extruder pushes out blotches at regular intervals and not a clean bead.
After about 30 layers it starts to give a nice clean bead. Have other CubeX users had similar problems or is it just my inexperience, any andvice would be helpful
I have attached the stl file and settings I used with the new CubeItModV3.1.
20140324_104858.jpg
box_configuration_kisslicer.stl
config_files.zip

Jesper Lindeberg

Mar 24, 2014, 8:19:48 AM3/24/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
looks like you have the much heat on your bed.

Peter Gregory

Mar 24, 2014, 9:00:38 AM3/24/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Also, check your Z-Gap - the first layer should be slightly flat into the bed surface.
If it looks rounded it is just laying on the surface and the head can tug / knock it off when it runs by.
Also, if the flow is too low it will pull the filament if it does't get a good purchase on the bed.

You have multiple heads, make sure they are all level.  Manually position the bed under your nozzles and make sure they are all at the same height.
You may have issues with interference from other heads during the first layer.

Your first layer is at 220c.  What is the maximum print temperature of the filament you are using?  If it is above the recommended material printing range, the filament will have a tendency to stick to the head, not the bed.

Lawrence Hobson

Mar 26, 2014, 1:17:00 AM3/26/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I have decreased the Z-gap and achieved much better results. I have already checked that all the heads are at the same level. The normal temperature I use for PLA is 205c. After talking with Giovanni I have now been able to get a decent print on 0.1 mm layer thickness, photos are attached. I still have fine tuning to do on the prime and suck, But I am getting somewhere I think.
20140325_110952.jpg
20140325_111213.jpg
20140325_111240.jpg