New to Kisslicer odd behavior on prints

Tim Kramp

Jul 22, 2014, 11:10:50 AM7/22/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm on a Mini Kossel and decided to try using Kisslicer after seeing a lot of people talk about how great it was. And I do really like it, and thought my prints came out pretty well, except there's one small issue. On both the cube, and the marker the same thing happens, at the same place in the print. I'm assuming it's something with this slicer since when using slic3r I do not get this defect. As you can see on the marker, it only happens in the lower layers. After it gets to a certain height, everything looks perfect. Any ideas on what would cause this issue?
IMG_20140722_105752.jpg
IMG_20140722_105844.jpg
IMG_20140722_105906.jpg

funBart

Jul 22, 2014, 11:52:35 AM7/22/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Kisslicer is pretty strict about errors in the stl compared to other slicers, so probably it's 'just' that.
Can you post the stl, so I can check it for you?

Some related discussion in the following post:

Bart

Tim Kramp

Jul 22, 2014, 11:56:52 AM7/22/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Ok, thanks! I attached both, the cube and the marker. I can also try printing something else tonight when I get home, to see if the same happens. The main reason I thought it might be something with kisslicer was that it was the same spot.
testcube_15mm.stl
ds2_marker1-2_tiny.stl

funBart

Jul 22, 2014, 12:21:34 PM7/22/14
Thanks, There was an error in the stl. I have repaired it for you, and the strange artefacts as seen on the screenshot should have been disappeared.
But, I hadn't looked at your pictures good enough, as the same behavior appeared on the testcube. I don't think this is an slicer error, but a setting to tweak. It seems to me that you are printing with PLA, maybe to fast or on a to high temperature, or to less perimeters.
As a start to try:
  • print slower to get the print cooled before the next layer, or the same as compared to the setting of your other slicers (maybe start with perimeter 30mm/s / the rest on 60mm/s
  • maybe your layer time has to be longer, as -to me- it seems that the prints 'melts' because it has no change to cool before the next layer (I have set the minimum layer time on the Material tab to 5s for PLA).
  • Maybe you have only one perimeter set in the style tab? Maybe adjust it to 3 (and / or the thickness to 0.8mm with 0.4mm path width) Did you set the pathwidth the same as your nozzle size?
  • You have set some infill didn't you?
  • It seems you have the filament diameter measured ok, didn't you?
Hopes this is a start. Otherwise: post your settings used.
screens and repaired model attached.

Bart
ds2_marker1-2_tiny rep.stl

PenskeGuy

Jul 23, 2014, 6:04:56 AM7/23/14
On Tuesday, July 22, 2014 9:21:34 AM UTC-7, funBart wrote:
 I don't think this is an slicer error, but a setting to tweak.

We've seen this before. IIRC, it was lack of calibration. You really should run a series of calibration cubes and dial in the Flow Tweak after having given KS the required measurements. Here's a guide I put together:

3d-printer-calibration.pdf

toranarod

Jul 23, 2014, 8:24:48 AM7/23/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Hello Penske.  Just been reading your last few posts. I think you nailed it.
I remember back on the old forum you always had away to keep the you know who honest. As they say.

Tim Kramp

Jul 23, 2014, 9:52:53 AM7/23/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
@funBart, thanks for your help. I was wondering, what did you use to fix the model?