Strange perimeter not closing surface

Franz Scherz

Jul 13, 2014, 2:35:24 PM7/13/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I tried to slice 2day This on 1.4.4.6 and found some strange results.

Please see:

Cura makes one surface and does not generate multiple perimeters.

I have inset @0.

Is this really how it should look like?

EarPhoneCase01.stl

frozen...@yahoo.com

Jul 13, 2014, 4:28:31 PM7/13/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Try this file, it is the way the faces of the little triangle pieces overlap the faces of the main body. Couple of small errors in this mesh, but slices correctly.

EarPhoneCase02.stl

Franz Scherz

Jul 14, 2014, 2:33:01 PM7/14/14
Thanks frozen...

I found out that Kiss imports several mashes for the model and it seems it does not combine them completely, even if they are for one extruder.

Anyhow, Kiss does not like many models others can slice without problems. Very sensitive!
Example:

This is faces_812, I think also from Thingiverse.

Somehow the STL reader and repair need to be reworked.

PenskeGuy

Jul 21, 2014, 5:27:22 AM7/21/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I know that some will rail at me for this but, most of us like it that way. It finds errors in our models that we were unaware were there, points to them and allows us to go in and fix them properly. It isn't "sensitive" it's smart. Dumb slicers don't know that there are glaring errors, especially in models found on Thingiverse, and happily "slice without problems". Doesn't make them better, or even marginally right. I like to know that my models and slices of them are sound. One less variable to consider when things don't turn out the way you expect. A slice may look good and then the print Borks and you're wondering why.

toranarod

Jul 21, 2014, 10:22:42 AM7/21/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
A few times recently I have wanted to say that should be fixed before it is converted to G Code back at the CAD  drawing.
It is starting to look like we are expecting the slicer to do what the Cad software can do.

PenskeGuy

Jul 23, 2014, 5:34:59 AM7/23/14
On Monday, July 21, 2014 7:22:42 AM UTC-7, toranarod wrote:
A few times recently I have wanted to say that should be fixed before it is converted to G Code back at the CAD  drawing.
It is starting to look like we are expecting the slicer to do what the Cad software can do.

Yep. Tail wagging the dog. That which is expected for $42 these days is amazing.