Movember and (Mo)re than a run

Steve Kibble

Nov 2, 2023, 4:51:15 PM11/2/23
to Kirribilli Runners

(I didn't get to send this out yesterday after posting it on FB, but as it is the start of our November appeal thought I'd send it out late so those who missed FB can still read what we have been up to. P.S. Another huge night last night to kick off our event, and thank you to Lululemon.)

Greetings KRew

You will all remember that last year we joined with a lot of running clubs from all over Sydney to run to support Movember and running to support men’s mental health.

Last year was a very successful and so we as the KRew are again going to support this great cause. We have a few events lined up over the month and we kick it off tonight. Tonight Alex will take us through what we have lined up and we have Lululemon, one of the major sponsors for Movember, coming along to talk about their involvement and they have some give a ways for the KRew.

Yes, you read that right… tonight we are giving away some great Lululemon gear to some lucky members – it could be you!!!

For more information about Movember please follow this link:

Movember - Changing the face of men's health - Movember

Last year you as you may recall I published a series of articles were I asked some of the KRew to write about dealing with mental health. I’m doing the same again this year and for this launch week I asked Scott to share some of his story and he writes:

“An acute mental health crisis in 2010, followed by several months in hospital, led me into a world I was not familiar with.

Like most men of my generation, I bottled up issues and presented as having it all together, but inside I was tanking. In hospital I found that mental illness is common. wide ranging and, though it did not seem so at the time, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

We are fortunate to live at a time, and in a country, where mental illness no longer carries the stigma it once did and, with courage and patience, therapeutic and medical interventions offer real solutions and hope.

Look out for your male friends, colleagues, and family. Please don't assume that someone who looks OK is OK, and look me up if you would like to know more about my past or if you could use an understanding non-judgemental ear.”

Thank you, Scott, for sharing your personal story and helping to de-stigmatise this insidious disease.

If you’d like to donate, (remember the page has a guide for donations, but please just give what you can afford):

https://au.movember.com/team/2446579

Or Alex will have a QR code that you can use at the run tonight.

Last weekend the 2nd Annual Bondi2Manly Ultra and relay race was held and those of us running had perfect conditions for it. I counted at least 6 of KRew who were mad enough to take on the full 80k of what has to be one of the most unbelievably scenic courses for an ultra-marathon in a major city. We also had quite a few of the KRew who ran as part of a relay team, with each person doing roughly 20km. I’m please to see that a team made up of some old KRew won the mixed relay team event, well done to Claire, Tegan, Peter and Phil

Tuesday Speed Sessions. Most of you know we hold a speed session on Tuesday nights at Gore Hill Oval starting at 6:30pm. It is great to see about 14 or 15 people coming each week to work on their speed and push themselves on the various sessions that we do. All are welcome and for more details please message me directly.

Upcoming Events

Annual KR Christmas Party will be Sunday 10th December. See the post on the FB page for details.

Cadbury Marathon 2024 This iconic marathon held in Hobart is coming up to its’ 41st edition on 7 Jan 24. I’ve done this one a few times and can highly recommend it as a great race and great way to get your 2024 racing calendar started. I know last year we had a few of the KRew down there who did a few of the distances on offer and all reported having a fun time. https://raceroster.com/events/2024/79514/cadbury-marathon

I see that registrations have already opened for many of the races that the KR like to do, with Canberra marathon, Hokka Sydney Half, and Sydney marathon all have early bird registrations at the moment.

If you are bringing bags tonight, this week Mark will be there with his car to hold them whilst you run.  (But please pick them up as soon as we have finished the run!) Thank you, Mark, much appreciated!!

That’s a wrap for this week; remember to take care of yourself and others.

Keep running @everyone and happy trails,

Steve

Director

#kirribillirunners