Autumn and Runcations

Steve Kibble

Mar 3, 2021, 7:13:10 PM3/3/21
to Kirribilli Runners

Greetings KRew

Here we are in March and the first KRClassic for the autumn season, and a stunning day it is turning out to be. I was out early running this morning, as were a bunch of other KRs, taking in the cool clear morning running along the peaceful shores of the harbour, which got me thinking about running and vacations - runcations.

The reason I was thinking about runcations is that I’ve just returned from a mini one up in Queensland where I did a 50k race I did last Saturday, and then able to visit my Mother in Brisbane afterwards. For those who may not know what a runcation is, that is where you plan a holiday around a race in some far off exotic land. The family always love it when you tell them they are going with you to a far flung place, mind you they do eventually cotton on to the fact that there always seems to be a marathon on just when you all happen to be there….  But that’s a story for another time.

After the year that didn’t give us the usual chances to race overseas and 2021 not looking much better why not look here in Australia? Looking at the various consolidation websites there are a lot of fine races coming up for your racing pleasure that will also satisfy your wanderlust.

In the middle of the year there is Gold Coast running festival and we already have a big contingent of KR going up for it. If you feel like a challenge of the marathon on one of the flattest courses in Australia then this is hard to beat. We have a KR team registered, so if you sign up make sure to add yourself to our team.

Then there are other big races like Melbourne Marathon in October, or some of the smaller races like Alice Springs Half Marathon at the end of July. Of course you can travel to hot places like Cairns for a good race, or cooler places like Tasmania. And then some beautiful rugged run like Kangaroo Island marathon.

Of course there is always the parkruncation, (think I just made that up) there are folks who travel all over to do parkruns and some who try to collect the alphabet of parkruns. Anyone where you’d find one beginning with ‘X’?

However you like to do it, open up a map, open up Google and just pick somewhere in the wide brown land that you want to go, find a race that suits, make a booking and go, oh and take the family if you have one of those, and/or your significant other if you have one of those, else just yourself. Enjoy!

https://www.vroomvroomvroom.com.au/road-trips/runcations/

Closer to home though and more immediate, the KRClassic tonight, I will get there about 6pm to welcome you and yes I’m still sending you out in small groups so as to spread the Red Shirts out on the bridge. But no matter whether you want to start a bit earlier, or at the more traditional time of 6:40pm, I will be there to see you, and as Joy is away this week I will be there with my car to store your bags should you need it.

But can I ask though that you please register your attendance at this link:

https://kirribillirunners.org/covid/

Or I will have a QR code tonight for you to register as you arrive.

Each week we have still been try to do the picnic in the park (rain and cool evenings are not helping) and it is getting more popular with the KRew post the KRClassic, so grab your preferred bevy and pizza and come and join us under the bridge.

Chris #HealthTip

Is Active Recovery or Passive Recovery Better for Performance?

If you are new to the running world, or newly addicted to running, there is SO MUCH OUT THERE in terms of running articles and running tips that you could use to improve your running. It’s overwhelming!

On our Tuesday night speed sessions at Gore Hill we are all about speed and recovery. Some weeks between the speed laps we have active recovery and sometimes passive, but which is best, is there even a difference? So I did some research into the differences between active recovery and passive recovery and this is what I found:

https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a19600157/active-

Thanks Chris for sharing I think we sometimes forget how important recovery is as part of our training.

Well that’s a wrap for another week.

Remember to take care of yourself and others.

Happy trails,

 Steve

Director

 #kirribillirunners