Spring Training Ready for a Summer of Running

Steve Kibble

Sep 16, 2021, 3:54:09 AM9/16/21
to Kirribilli Runners

Greetings KRew

I hope everyone is doing okay with this never ending lockdown here in Sydney and most of NSW? As you all know and as I have said many times, we are fortunate that we can still exercise outside with a buddy, and now we can go with more than one buddy, as long as all are double vaxxed that is.

We do have some exciting races coming up and we all have our fingers crossed that they will go ahead. I’ve seen a bunch of folks have signed up for Bare Creek 20k event in November and looks like Melbourne Marathon will be going ahead in December, then today UTA opened up for those who were lucky enough to nab an entry for it. If like a lot of the Krew you are keen to get back to racing, make sure you stay in the loop and get those entries in as soon as registration opens up.

This week I’ve been talking to Anneke a regular KR who has come back from a long off due to injury, but always kept up a positive attitude through it all. It was always great to see Anneke at our speed sessions on a Tuesday night each week, encouraging all the runners even if she wasn’t running that night. Let’s see what Anneke has to say about her runing journey:

Your name and/or running nickname?

Anneke

How long have you been running?

I’ve always enjoyed running. I became more consistent during uni (which feels like a long time ago now) and then the consistency continued throughout my years living in different countries and travelling!

What inspires you to keep running?

Keeping myself sane! A common saying of mine lately is “my wheels fall off a little less if I have done some exercise in the morning”.

 What’s the coolest place you have ever run?

After living away from NZ for over 10 years now and running in a number of countries I still think some of the coolest places I have run are in NZ (possibly a biased opinion).

How do you feel at the start of a run?

This is very dependent – sometimes it would be tough to get moving but post injuries I am very grateful!!!

 When you see another runner coming towards you, what do you do?

Smile!

 What do your friends think of your running?

My friends who are not runners think I am nuts but my friends who are runners are very supportive.

What do you do with your clothes immediately after you get home from a run?

They go straight to the laundry basket!

What’s the one thing you wish you’d been told before you started running?

How common injuries can be! For years I was very fortunate but recently I have had a few injuries and you just realise how many injuries or even little niggles people go through.

Thank you for sharing Anneke that’s awesome and I think all of us can identify with running keeping us sane, especially at the moment!

 Just before I go, as everyone who sees me running knows, I always wear a running belt that has my phone and keys in it. Now I wear a SPI belt and I know others in the KRew wear different types of belts and seem to like them. Here’s an article I happened to see in the paper the other day and through I’d share it with you all.

 https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-running-belts/

 And one last thing, don’t forget there is a virtual KR drinks session on Zoom tonight at 8pm, please see Mick’s invite below:

 Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81440105000...

Meeting ID: 814 4010 5000

Passcode: 328391

Dial by your location

+61 2 8015 6011 Australia

+61 3 7018 2005 Australia

+61 7 3185 3730 Australia

+61 8 6119 3900 Australia

+61 8 7150 1149 Australia

 Well that’s a wrap for another week, enjoy your KRClassic Virtual run today and don’t forget to share some photos with us all on the KR FB page.

 Remember to take care of yourself and others. And wash your hands, wear a mask and remember to socially distance.

 Happy trails,

 Steve

Director

 #kirribillirunners