A Great Night to Run the KRClassic Course

Steve Kibble

Nov 16, 2022, 8:50:30 PM11/16/22
to Kirribilli Runners

Greetings KRew

Running around the Opera House this week is still a challenge as they have a huge stage on the forecourt and it is a bit of maze on the west side. However, we will still run the KRClassic course, but please be careful going through the maze!

As you will all know we had a large contingent head west to Carcoar for a weekend of racing in either the Marathon, Half Marathon and Marathon Relay. Was great to see Red being Repped in all three events. I have asked Helena who was part of the KR all female team, called the Kirribilli Roses, to do a little race report.

Carcoar 2022 Race Report

Over the weekend, over 20 KR members braved the open roads to participate in the Carcoar Cup. Led by the indefatigably enthusiastic Geordie Owen, KR descended on Carcoar and quite literally painted the town red, claiming 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 7th in the teams marathon and breaking the long held teams marathon record. A huge shout out to the Kirribilli Racers – consisting of Josh Marks, Ant Wood, Nico Roth, and James Griffiths – who were the first team across the line. However, it should be noted that the KR teams were all so impressive that the teams that came 1st, 2nd, and 3rd all beat the former record!

The Carcoar weather really turned it up for our arrival and fewer things were as bleak as the rain on Sunday morning – except perhaps the sight of the never-ending hills that greeted us on the course! And what a course it was. The rain transformed the countryside and the runners who took the second leg reported wading through the newly formed Carcoar lakes. There may be money in producing a lightweight gumboot-style trail shoe, it seems.

Although many of us have been left with lasting trauma at the thought of the Carcoar hills, there is no denying that this was an absolutely fantastic weekend. Thank you again to Geordie for his stellar organisation and to all the KRs who ‘Repped the Red’ with such pride and enthusiasm. Until 2023!

Helena #KRdoesMovember

This week’s Movember Moment

Don’t forget that throughout November, Kirribilli Runners will be focusing on Men’s Health. Let’s break down barriers, start conversations, and reduce the stigma surrounding mental health in men.

Important dates:

·       24th November – The KR Movember Fundraising Run. You can run either the 6k or the 10k course – representing the 60 men we lose to suicide each hour and the 10% of men who experience anxiety. We are asking for a small donation to the KR Movember page (https://movember.com/t/kirribilli-runners?mc=1) for you to participate. Dress up in Mo gear!

·       26th November – Run 10, 30, or 60 kilometres in the name of men’s health. This is a Sydney wide event and will end with a major celebration at Establishment! For details on times, courses, and run leaders visit our event page here: https://www.facebook.com/events/5605621969550805. Don’t forget to RSVP to the official event for your ticket to Establishment!

Mental Health and Mental Illness – What are they really?

·       Mental health is a positive concept related to the social and emotional wellbeing of individuals and communities.

·       A mental illness is a disorder diagnosed by a medical professional that significantly interferes with an individual’s cognitive, emotional or social abilities.

·       A mental health problem also interferes with a person’s cognitive, emotional or social abilities, but may not meet the criteria for a diagnosed mental illness.

Only a quarter of men say they would seek help from a mental health professional if they were experiencing personal or emotional problems. Let’s normalize seeking help, here are some places to turn:

·       MensLine Australia is an online counselling and forum for men — call 1300 78 99 78

·       Beyond Blue has health resources specifically designed for men — call 1300 22 4636

·       MoodGYM is a free online cognitive behaviour therapy program. https://moodgym.com.au

Did you know? If you are experiencing mental health problems, you and your doctor can create a plan to treat it. A mental health treatment plan lets you claim up to 20 sessions with a mental health professional each calendar year.

Musings from the men...

I asked some of our KR men about how running helps their mental health. Here’s what they had to say:

Running:

·       “helps my mind wander”

·       “helps my mental health by getting me away from the daily rush to create space for myself, which refreshes my mind and makes me think more open and free about things when hitting the road.”

If you’d like to donate please use the following link:

https://movember.com/t/kirribilli-runners?mc=1

Upcoming Events

Next year for Canberra Marathon we now have a discount code that gives you 10% off, so use that if you are going to sign up for it. (SM-MEMBER-KR) If you going to go, sign up today as this is the last day of the early bird pricing!!

Blackmores Sydney Running Festival 17 Sep 23! Never to early to sign up for the marathon and get your training program sorted. I have started a KR group so make sure you join the KRew team!

SAVE THE DATE! KR annual Christmas Party and Annual Awarding on the ‘KR Person of the Year’, is going to be held on 11 December! Stay tuned for more details closer to the date.

For the run tonight, if you are bringing bags, Helena will be there with her car, to hold them whilst you run. Thank you Helena that is really awesome!!

That’s it for this week; remember to take care of yourself and others.

Keep running and happy trails,

Steve

Director

#kirribillirunners