Sydney Marathon SOLD OUT!!! (Hokka Half on Sunday)

1 view

Steve Kibble

May 2, 2024, 1:11:40 AMMay 2
to Kirribilli Runners

Greetings KRew

This week we see yet another major event selling out in a record time. Yes, Sydney Marathon has reached their participant limit of 24,000 and has opened up a wait list for those wanting a spot.

This adds to the growing list of sold out events starting with this Sunday’s Runaway Hokka Half Marathon, which has a 10k and 21.1k option, both of which sold out ages ago.

Talking of the Half and 10k, the KRew are well represented in both races and so plenty of Red runners to come along and support if you are not running. I will be supporting and planning on standing with the flag at the entrance to Art Gallery Road, so come and join me if you are wanting to come and cheer folks on to the finish line.

Don’t forget we will have Helen and her team of magnificent volunteers at the start line doing the marshalling of the runners. Thanks to all those who are getting up at 4am to ensure that everyone has the best possible start to the race.

Last weekend saw Brian in Ballarat doing the inaugural marathon, which was a huge race for a first time regional event, especially when you look at how many events they had across the whole weekend.

Personally I was up in Brisbane doing the Brisbane Trail Marathon and the organisers saying the start it was the largest number of entrants they had ever had. And that was for a very tough trail race!!

In the coming weeks I will have more to say about the races selling out and the proliferation of running and running clubs in what is fast looking like the Golden Age of Running!

Upcoming Events

Coming up are the following major events:

Coming on 11th August the biggest KR running event of year, the 2024 City to Surf https://city2surf.com.au Entries are now open and early bird prices. So sign up and join the Kirribilli Runners team for the annual 14k trip to Bondi! (Hurry Red and Green waves sold out)

SOLD OUT! Then on 15th September the big one the Sydney Marathon 2024 discount code: SMRC10

 https://sydneymarathon.com This is the last year before it becomes a marathon major and they have said on the website that if you sign up for this year guaranteed entry for 2025.

Each of these races always have a lot of the KRew racing and so when you sign up make sure you join our team and proudly Rep the Red around the streets of Canberra and Sydney.

Of course, there are many many races throughout the year that the KR will do, such as those out at Sydney Olympic Park and around the foreshore. We will highlight as many was think of, but if you have one to promote you think the KRew will love let us know! If you want to find some for yourself I recommend using The Running Calendar website which lists just about every race in Australia.

On 16th June sees Bay-to-Bay Running Festival. This is a very scenic point-to-point race from Woy Woy to Gosford along the edge of the bay. I know that we always get a few of the KRew running this one, so if you feel like a fast mid year half, this is definitely one to add to the mix. Elaine has set up a team so join the Kirribilli Runners team when you sign up.

Next Sunday KR Long Run is on 19th May stay tuned as Tully will be releasing details of the run next week on FB. So check it out!

Tuesday Speed Sessions, every week as most of you know we hold a speed session on Tuesday nights at Gore Hill Oval starting at 6:30pm. It is great to see about 14 or 15 people coming each week to work on their speed and push themselves on the various sessions that we do. All are welcome and for more details please message me directly.

Steps Variation Tonight, the authorities closed expressway between the Heritage Steps and the Cumberland St Steps (basically the bit above the basketball courts). The change which will be easy to follow and gives you two options, either down the Heritage steps and cross the road go to the left of the Australian Hotel t the end of the road to the ramp back onto the expressway, then come back the same way. For the really game looking for more elevation gain in the run, you can add the Cumberland Steps to re-access the Expressway.

If you are bringing bags tonight, Evelyn will be there with her car to hold them whilst you run. (But please pick them up as soon as we have finished the run!) Thank you, Evelyn much appreciated!!

That’s a wrap for this week; remember to take care of yourself and others.

Keep running @everyone and happy trails,

Steve

Director

#kirribillirunners