Kirribilli Runners – Women’s Running Month Week 2

Steve Kibble

Aug 11, 2021, 9:16:33 PM8/11/21
to Kirribilli Runners

Greetings KRew

I hope everyone is getting out and enjoying these cool clear perfect winter mornings that we have had this week.

It’s our second week of KR Women’s Running Month and this week I’m profiling Valerie one of our Russian runners who has recently moved up to Hornsby to discover the delights of running around the north of the city. And Valerie maybe the only member of the KRew who has had her running captured in an oil painting.

Your name and/or running nickname?

Valerie aka Russian Machine! Self proclaimed but it seems this nickname has been accepted by others.

How long have you been running?

I picked up running in 2012 as a spin-off from gym/fitness classes it has now taken over!

What inspires you to keep running?

Being active is an essential part of my life! Running is the best for that. Also loving the social aspect of it - meeting new people, taking part in community events and races.

What’s the coolest place you have ever run?

Apart from weird jet lagged stopover runs in Dubai or Singapore, probably most excited about running in my hometown Aktau in Kazakhstan. Beautiful promenade runs along the Caspian Sea and sunsets over the water - it’s incredible!

How do you feel at the start of a run?

Usually neither excited nor energised, need a kilometre to warm up and get into the rhythm.

When you see another runner coming towards you, what do you do?

Normally or in COVID times? Always smile and nod, sometimes wave. These days - move to the side respecting the space, but still smile and acknowledge them. We’re all family!

What’s the most interesting thing that has ever happened to you whilst running?

I always go for tourist exploration runs whenever traveling or in a new city, very interesting experiences! Including being lost, getting looks from locals. Nothing particularly outstanding I could remember really.

What do your friends think of your running?

Friends support me because they know running makes me happy:) Also that I’m crazy about it - keep coming back after every running injury!!

What do you do with your clothes immediately after you get home from a run?

Hang somewhere to dry, and then chuck them into a basket for a big weekly laundry.

What’s the one thing you wish you’d been told before you started running?

Challenge yourself. Try new things out of your comfort zone. Results may surprise you!

Thanks for sharing Valerie, running along the Caspian Sea sounds lovely, I guess here in Sydney we see the sun rise out of the ocean every day, but not many of us see it sink into it each night.

Margriet #healthtip #RunLikeAGirl

Running during your period

The menstrual cycle is something that will impact all female runners. It sometimes seems all..the..time. As every woman feels different in the various phases of the menstrual cycle, you should listen to your body, and if affected adjust the duration and intensity to how *you* feel. If you have a heavy period, cramps, headaches or sensitive breasts, you may want to be flexible with your run, if it’s not a race that is. But don’t avoid running, if you feel ready: go for it!

There are many benefits to continue running on your period. Running releases endorphins, which may improve your mood during a period. Endorphins are also a natural painkiller, and running may beat the bloat and ease the cramps. So what can you do to make running during a period easier?

To avoid surprises, you may want to use a menstrual cycle tracking app. Also make sure you rest well, stay hydrated and eat iron rich food. Use period products which suit you, avoid plastic period products, or you may simply want to free bleed. Just try anything new before, not on, race day.

And if it is anything to go by: I just ran an ultra on day 2 of my period, it was messy, but black shorts still go a long way!

https://www.runnersworld.com/health-injuries/a34603124/running-with-your-period/

Thanks for sharing Margriet, these are very educational and much appreciated.

As I said last week, we’ve come up with a few topics, but I’m sure there are many more, so please either message Margriet or myself or leave a comment below and I will add them to the list for future newsletters. We are also keen to have other women write the #healthtip or anything else you’d like to share with the group, so let us know if you are able to help us out.

Just before I go, don’t forget there is a virtual KR drinks session on Zoom tonight at 8pm, please see Mick’s invite below:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81760899815...

Meeting ID: 817 6089 9815

Passcode: 400145

Dial by your location

+61 2 8015 6011 Australia

+61 3 7018 2005 Australia

+61 7 3185 3730 Australia

+61 8 6119 3900 Australia

+61 8 7150 1149 Australia

 Well that’s a wrap for another week, enjoy your KRClassic Virtual run today and don’t forget to share some photos with us all on the KR FB page.

 Remember to take care of yourself and others. And wash your hands, wear a mask and remember to socially distance.

Happy trails,

Steve

Director

 #kirribillirunners