KRClassic Virtual Edition – Week 3!

1 view

Steve Kibble

Jul 7, 2021, 5:27:37 PM7/7/21
to Kirribilli Runners

Greetings KRew

KR is still in virtual mode this week, and due to the lockdown here in Sydney will stay so for at least another week. However, I am hopeful that it won’t be too long until we are able to run together as a club again.

I, like many of you, have been keeping up my running during this time and ensuring that I get out each day and enjoy beautiful sunrises and sometimes foggy mornings, that we are getting here in Sydney at the moment. Whether you are a lark runner, or more of an owl runner, the important thing is get out and enjoy these cool Sydney winter days.

This week I have been speaking to Chris who is one of 3 brothers, and part of the ‘Boy band’ that have now been regularly running with us for quite a while now about his running journey. And I will say Chris has been getting faster each week, maybe it is some good old-fashioned friendly sibling rivalry?

Your name and/or running nickname?

Chris Armstrong, part of the group, affectionately known as the Boy Band!

How long have you been running?

I’ve been running for around 10 months now with the first one being a Thursday KR classic, which obviously put me on a good path!

What inspires you to keep running?

At the beginning it was to mainly to lose weight, as the lockdown wasn’t being nice to the waistline and health in general. But after around 10 months of constant running, the inspiration now mainly comes through achieving faster and faster times. I also like the challenge of going longer distances every now and then.

What’s the coolest place you have ever run?

My work sends me all around Australia, so I’ve run in a fair few unique places. In saying that, the coolest place would be in the middle of the desert between Wilkenia and Broken Hill, without any sign of civilization in sight. That being said, I couldn’t make it more than 5kms due to the 40 degree summer heat!

How do you feel at the start of the run?

It really depends… If I haven’t run in a while, it often feels quite good and I can usually run quite fast off the mark. If I’ve been running frequently in the previous days, the first couple kms are a little tough on the legs… but after that I’m always feeling good!

When you see another runner coming towards you, what do you do?

I try to wave or nod, but it’s not always reciprocated!

What do your friends think of your running?

Everyone is obviously quite supportive, but friends that run obviously take more of an interest. I try and get some of my non-running friends out for a KR classic, but they prefer to meet afterward at the pub!

What’s the one thing you wish you’d been told before you started running?

Pretty much that you need to plan runs in terms of what you eat, and how long before a run you eat. I learned this the hard way in the early days… Now I strictly eat healthy foods at least 2 hours before I run.

Thanks for sharing Chris, I’m glad that you enjoying your running and wow 40 degree C is little toasty to say the least!

ChrisO #HealthTip

Running helps counter poor quality sleep

I don’t know about you, but sometimes I find I don’t sleep very well and I wake up not feeling rested, drag myself around for the rest of the day somewhat tired and grumpy, which doesn’t please my partner at all.

Now I know, that we all need good quality sleep to help us recover from the day, to recharge our batteries, and be ready to face the coming day.

As you would expect, I went and did some research, and came across this article in the Sydney Morning Herald on how exercise can counter the harms of poor quality sleep. As runners this is perfect as we already exercise, and this article just gives us another reason to keep up our running.

https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/health-and-wellness/how-exercise-can-counter-the-harms-of-poor-sleep-20210629-p585bq.html

Thanks Chris, that’s brilliant and I agree; yet another great reason to keep running!

Well that’s a wrap for another week, enjoy your KRClassic Virtual run today and don’t forget to share some photos with us all on the KR FB page.

Remember to take care of yourself and others. And wash your hands, wear a mask and remember to socially distance.

Happy trails,

Steve

Director

 #kirribillirunners