Happy Spring Equinox and see you at KRClassic Tonight!

Steve Kibble

Sep 22, 2022, 1:56:39 AM9/22/22
to Kirribilli Runners

Greetings KRew

I hope as you read this you are having a nice public holiday for the official day of mourning for QEII. And of course KRClassic is still on tonight, as it is every week, and we will be meeting at the usual time in the usual place to do our weekly trot across the bridge.

Wow what a weekend the KRew had, safe to say that the Blackmores Sydney Running Festival measured up to all the hype for the KRew. I think it started best when the announcer at the start of the half marathon said: “We’d like to thank the Kirribilli Runners for letting us use their course today!” I feel like we’ve now made it to the big time!

With perfect weather at 6am the half marathon was under starters orders, the gun goes off and several thousand people started running with a good representation of the KRew Repping the Red out there. They sped off across the bridge and onto the expressway heading up to Hyde Park to return to Pyrmont and the final sprint from Darling Harbour, through Barangaroo and Walsh Bay for the final kilometre around Circular Quay for a finish in front of the cheering crowds at the Opera House.

Next the marathoners gathered at Milsons Point and under starters orders took off to start their 42.2km journey to the Opera House. Again great weather to start the race and I was glad to be wearing my new Sub4 KR shirt as it is so light and breathable. The race initially takes off up the hill and over the deck of the bridge and onto the expressway and up Macquarie St, past the war memorial and heads to Centennial Park for a nearly 10k section of the course. During this time most of us saw the eventual winners of the male and female race, and as always, it is magnificent to see those elite athletes running, they really are like poetry in motion.

The race continues after Centennial Park for the long down hill section down to Circular Quay and under the bridge to head to Pyrmont for the last hill and then race the flat back to Darling Harbour, Barangaroo, Walsh Bay and on to the long dreamed of finish line.

Also I know we had some of the KRew doing the 10km event and I have heard and seen the photos, like I’m sure that you have on FB and Strava of the great time they all had.

One of things that is the best about the Kirribilli Runners is how encouraging everyone is of everyone else. I know when I was out there on the course I heard so many people yelling “Go Steve” or “Go Kirribilli” and encouraging everyone they saw. Then at the finish line so many of the KRew, whose races had finished hours earlier, were still there yelling encouragement at the KRew finishing the marathon. I know it made me feel special and great encouragement as I crossed the line.

I particularly wanted to mention Helen and her KR volunteers who had to get to the start line 4:15am ready to be the marshals that kept us all going in the right direction for the race. Then so many of them also stayed around to cheer us all home, it was great to see you all in your volunteer shirts still there helping and cheering – I know all the runners really appreciated it.

Lastly it would be remiss of me to forget our ‘official’ KR photographer Paul who took some awesome photos of the racers as we rounded the turn on the pier out at Pyrmont. And our roving videographer and interviewer Jordan and I know it was great to see his smiling face several times during the race videoing us all as we ran by. Also to all the others of the KRew to many to mention who came out to stand on the course and yell encouragement as we ran by, Thank You!

Can’t wait for Sydney Running Festival in 2023 when we get to do it all again!!

Shirt News

As I said last week, orders are now open for shirts and quickly get on the site and grab your KR merch! The Sub4 shirts have proven to be very popular as they are lighter then the older 2XU and more breathable which is great for running on the hotter days that we have here in Sydney.

https://www.sub4.com.au/category/kirribilli-runners/

Upcoming Events

Book your diaries for the next KR social on Sunday 9th October 2pm!

We are going to be doing an afternoon pub run starting a the Kirribilli Hotel with a beer (or your drink of choice) then across the bridge…… and you will have to come along to find out where the next pub is going to be.

Sneak preview is the running will be between 4 and 5km with 5 pubs visited… (unless we find we can’t keep going and just stop…… it is a social event after all.)

Tonight’s KRClassic

For the run tonight, if you are bringing bags, Helena will be there with her car, to hold them whilst you run. Thank you Helena that is really awesome!!

That’s it for this week; remember to take care of yourself and others.

Keep running and happy trails,

Steve

Director

#kirribillirunners