Looking like it’s going to be a perfect night to run the KRClassic

1 view

Steve Kibble

Feb 17, 2021, 9:12:53 PM2/17/21
to Kirribilli Runners

Greetings KRew

Looking at my weather app it seems the sun will be out by the time we head out across the bridge tonight. So don’t miss out and make sure you join us for the weekly jaunt around that most iconic of buildings; the Sydney Opera House.

So your KR social directors have been thinking that it is time for a KR social event, obviously during these COVID times we do have to exercise some caution, but we can still have something. So I’m asking the KRew here for some ideas that you have that the committee might consider. We have some ideas, but would love to hear from you our membership. Please comment below or talk to one of us about the ideas that you have.

As always at the KRClassic tonight, I will get there about 6pm to welcome you and yes I’m still sending you out in small groups so as to spread the Red Shirts out on the bridge. But no matter whether you want to start a bit earlier, or at the more traditional time of 6:40pm, I will be there to see you, and don’t forget the marvellous Joy will be there with her car to store your bags should you need it.

But can I ask though that you please register your attendance at this link:

https://kirribillirunners.org/covid/

Or I will have a QR code tonight for you to register as you arrive.

With the weather getting warmer (maybe wetter tonight) the picnic in the park is getting more popular with the KRew post the KRClassic, so grab your preferred bevy and pizza and come and join us under the bridge.

Today I talk to Scott one of local regular runners with KR who gives us his insights into what makes him keep running and celebrities that you can meet whilst running.

Your name and/or running nickname?

Scott Spencer and most friends call me Scotty. In high school my nickname was Frank, as in Frank Spencer from the TV show 'Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em'. But let's just stick with Scotty.

How long have you been running?

Since I was a kid. I was never quite coordinated enough, or popular enough, for team sports. Running suited me well.

What inspires you to keep running?

If I haven't been running for a while, I start to go a bit crazy in the head. Marbles loosen. Reality distorts. That's inspiration!

What’s the coolest place you have ever run?

Like others have noted, the KR Classic really is a cool run. (I also liked the variation we did that time when we ran to the noodle market. Beautiful scenic run - then noodles!)

How do you feel at the start of a run?

I'm like a steam locomotive. Slow to start, but once I get going I'm hard to stop. There's also a lot of huffing and puffing involved.

When you see another runner coming towards you, what do you do?

INTENSE EYE CONTACT

What’s the most interesting thing that has ever happened to you whilst running?

Once when I was running in central London, I turned a corner and almost ran into Stephen Fry! He was also out exercising, wearing a velour tracksuit.

What do your friends think of your running?

After about 17 minutes of me describing my training regime in detail, I notice their eyes have glazed over.

What do you do with your clothes immediately you get home after a run?

Just like my old tea bags, I hang them out to dry before reusing them.

What’s the one thing you wish you’d been told before you started running?

Run drink repeat!

Thanks Scott that’s awesome, I like the steam locomotive analogy, feel like that myself from time to time. Next week I talk to Nathalie one of regular runners and she is also Scott’s wife, together they are one of the many wonderful KR couples that we have that run with us.

Chris #HealthTip

Listening to your body

Something that we all know about us runners, is that we like to push ourselves, be it a longer run, a faster interval session or even trying trail running. The accumulative effects of pushing ourselves can or may lead to injury that is, unless we listen to our bodies, and what our bodies are trying to tell us about how we are trucking along.

So what does listening to your body actually mean? Are there signals that we are ignoring about when to ease off or cut back? From what I’m seeing on Strava at the moment, many of us are doing even more than usual at the moment due in part to the amazing weather we are having and maybe it is a good time to read this article on listening to your body.

https://www.runnersworld.com/advanced/a20808571/listen-to-your-body/

Thanks Chris for sharing, totally agree with you that we all need to listen to what our bodies are telling about how we are going from time to time.

Well that’s a wrap for another week.

Remember to take care of yourself and others.

Happy trails,

Steve

Director

#kirribillirunners