KR does (Mo)vember – A focus on Men’s Mental Health

Steve Kibble

Nov 2, 2022, 9:32:05 PM11/2/22
to Kirribilli Runners

Greetings KRew

Tonight we launch our (Mo)vember focus on Men’s health and below you’ll find some information from Helena who is working with me to run the events we have planned. We will do some fund raising for our event that we have planned for the 24th November all funds go towards helping men who are struggling with mental health and suicide prevention.

As you will remember, sadly in 2020 we lost two members of our club, Steve Garamy and Billy Mclean to suicide and I’m sure many of you have lost men in your lives to suicide as well and how incredibly sad that is. So this month let’s all do something together to help make a difference.

I do ask if you have a topic or even better write something that I can use in the newsletter that will be awesome!!!

Helena #KRdoesMovember

Happy Movember KR! This month is all about men’s health and for the next four weeks we going to do a focus on men’s health.

As you probably all know, each November there is a focus on Men’s Health through the (Mo)vember (Mo)vement and this year (Mo)vember have partnered with Lululemon to have a fitness focus as a part of a way to have a good healthier lifestyle both physically and mentally.

On Tuesday Stephen and I went to a launch at Bondi where we joined with a bunch of other running clubs around Sydney to look how together we can support men and help promote the movement. Over the next few weeks we will look at both what the (Mo)vement is doing and what we can do to help the men on our group and in our lives. Firstly though please keep the following dates free:

·       Thursday November 24: The Inaugural KR (Mo)vember Run.

·       Saturday 26 November – [Mo]re than a Run – A 10, 30, or 60k run ending with a mega party at Establishment (with 30+ other Sydney run clubs) –

What is the [mo]re than a run challenge for Movember? Stay tuned to learn more! (Don’t worry we won’t be asking anyone to grow a Mo, unless you want to course…..

If you’d like to donate please use the following link:

https://movember.com/t/kirribilli-runners?mc=1

 This week’s (Mo)vember (Mo)ment

 Each week we will share a tip, trick, or piece of wisdom contributed by a KR male. Please DM me if you’d like to make a contribution!!

This week, I asked a few of the KR guys what they wished someone had told them about being a man. Here are their (anonymous) responses:

“I wish that someone had told me that it is ok to be angry, but that it is more important to understand why you’re angry – is it because you’re disappointed, sad or scared? Letting go of anger and understanding why means you can actually work through it”.

 “I wish that someone had told me that not drinking alcohol doesn’t make you soft”

 And to finish, here is one of the Top 5 things the Movember organisation suggest men should know and do:

 “Talk more. You don’t need to be an expert and you don’t have to be the sole solution, but being there for someone, actively listening, and giving your time can be life-saving”.

If you or someone you know is struggling please contact the people below who can help:

Lifeline | 13 11 14

24-hour Australian crisis counselling service

Suicide Call Back Service | 1300 659 467

24-hour Australian counselling service

beyondblue | 1300 22 4636

24-hour phone support and online chat service and links to resources and apps.

Upcoming Events

Inaugural Bondi to Manly 80km Ultra – is on this Saturday and a few of the KRew will be out there doing this so if you live neat the course come and cheer us on! And a big thanks to those who have volunteered to be on the course we will be looking forward to seeing you!

Carcoar Cup - 13th Nov We have 16 in 4 teams of the KRew going out there to Rep the Red on the marathon relay event, go Kirribilli!!!

Next year for Canberra Marathon we now have a discount code that gives you 10% off, so use that if you are going to sign up for it. (SM-MEMBER-KR)

Blackmores Sydney Running Festival 17 Sep 23! Never to early to sign up for the marathon and get your training program sorted. I have started a KR group so make sure you join the KRew team!

SAVE THE DATE! KR annual Christmas Party and Annual Awarding on the ‘KR Person of the Year’, is going to be held on 11 December! Stay tuned for more details closer to the date.

Tonight’s Run

Although the east some of the Opera House is now open, the forecourt construction is just as bad and from what I saw this morning – worse! So just like last week we will be running the Vivid Variation Course due to the east side of the Opera House being closed. Below are the instructions for the course:

·       Start at usual place and time

·       Run across the bridge and down the steps

·       Bottom of steps turn left and run down the road

·       At the Harbour View Hotel cross the road and run through Dawes Point Reserve

·       Follow path down in front of the pylon to the water (be careful crossing the road)

·       Turn left go under bridge and follow the footpath along Hickson St all the way to entrance of Barangaroo (no wharves)

·       At Barangaroo enter and run along the foot path staying to the right that is run on the dirt path

·       Run along till you get to the end of the little wall that separates the paths which is at the cutting

·       U-turn at the end of the wall on to the other path and run back to entrance of Barangaroo

·       Come out of Barangaroo and turn right and go up the hill

·       Follow the road past The Pallisade hotel and run across Kent St, using the pedestrian crossing

·       Keep going up the hill to the pedestrian under pass under the bridge

·       At end turn right and go up the steps to the bridge

·       Run back to end of bridge and wait for the rest of the KRew

·       Join group photo and go to HQ

(If it helps to make it a bit clearer please see attached photo of the route.)

For the run tonight, if you are bringing bags, Helena will be there with her car, to hold them whilst you run. Thank you Helena that is really awesome!!

That’s it for this week; remember to take care of yourself and others.

Keep running and happy trails,

Steve

Director

#kirribillirunners