Nice to be running with our KR friends again!

Steve Kibble

Oct 22, 2021, 1:43:48 AM10/22/21
to Kirribilli Runners

Greetings KRew

With COVID restrictions being it’s great to see so many of the KRew meeting up with their friends and running the bridge in small groups. Last week out running the course in the evening we saw many other KRs some singles, some in groups of 5 or 6 out running.

Last night we had a lot of the KRew show up for a run and although we are not officially back until December at this stage, it was great to see so many of the KRew, as you can see from the photos that I took last night. (Hey, you all know me, it’s what I do……) And don’t worry we were all outside and didn’t get into groups that were too big and the there was a booking at the pub that someone did. Obviously it will be so great when we can all just run and gather as a club again.

Something else that I know a lot of the KRs love, and is coming back, are organised and official races. Distances from 5k (I hear that parkruns will be back in Sydney about 4th December), 10k events (Sydney Striders have announced that their first of the series return will be Homebush in November for financial members), marathons (many of us have signed up for Melbourne Marathon in December). There are also some other great races going on with, GNW Ultras Festival on weekend of 20th November, 30km Coastal Classic on 4thDecember and Bare Creek 20k on 5th December.

If you’ve not been training, don’t worry it is never to late to get back into it and look at some of the great races that will be going ahead in 2022! Starting with Cadbury marathon in Hobart in January (if that border is open), maybe 6 Foot Track in March or that same weekend is Elite Energy Australian Alpine Ascent in the Snowy Mountains. Canberra marathon in April always a favourite with the KRew and entries are open and we have a team for it! Then in May is UTA if you can get an entry and of course the SMH Half Marathon that same weekend.

So I hope you find a race that inspires you to keep up your training and keep enjoying your running. Talking of which my running buddy and the KR resident Health Tip Guru Chris has embarked on a very focused training regime for Melbourne Marathon. As part of this Chris has been doing a lot of research on the many aspects involved in serious marathon training.

Chris #HealthTip

How to Find and Address Your Muscle Imbalances for Stronger Runs

With the relaxation of health restrictions perhaps you are thinking about that next big race on the horizon. Running goals may now be about the next 5K, 10K, half and even marathons. For me, I have working through a marathon training block and this has been tough but rewarding.

The increase in intensity, frequency and duration has highlighted why addressing muscle imbalances matter? It got me thinking about how muscle imbalances affect your running, how you would determine muscle imbalances and got me researching how do I fix it?

I came across this great article in Runners World that addresses this very topic. So if it’s 5km, or a marathon, or even just getting fitter, then this article is for you:

https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a37614188/workouts-for-muscle-imbalance/

Thanks Chris and good luck with your training plan I look forward to following your progress over the next 8 weeks or so.

Next week I’m going to have a look at what some of the KRew have been doing in lockdown and some of the races some have managed to do.

On last note, stay tuned as we will announce the Christmas party soon!

Well that’s a wrap for another week, enjoy your KRClassic Virtual run today and don’t forget to share some photos with us all on the KR FB page.

Remember to take care of yourself and others. And wash your hands, wear a mask and remember to socially distance.

 Happy trails,

 Steve

Director

 #kirribillirunners